New
Find
Notify
Tools

70gn Nosler ballistic tip 6PPC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can anyone give me some ideas for loads to try with Nosler 70gn bt's in 6PPC.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Match bullets are the MOST accurate in this chambering.

STARTING LOADS...REDUCE BY 10%

W748�29.5�WSR�3041fps
H335�29.0�Sm Rifle�2855 fps
H4198�22�Sm Rifle�2790 fps

H322�26.0�F205M�2904 This powder is the ones the BR guys use. My load for a 68 Berger is 26.5 giving 3012 fps. Cases last forever. You can push this up to 27.8 gr but case life is poor.

BR folks generally push the envelope re: velocity while not worrying about pressures, etc. I have seen them size (in BR dies) reprime and fill the case to the top of the neck with powder and then crunch in a bullet. Doesn't stick or blow guns but then the BR guns are tightly chambered, among other things.

You will find that seating depth (Bullet to Bore distance) IS critical for accuracy in this cartridge. Most loads will shoot less than 1/2 MOA, even starting loads. The SAKO factory ammo would go 1/4 inch regularly.

Please consider the above loads as a reference and not to be used exactly as all rifles are different.

I love mine (have two) 300 yd killing shots on prairie wolves is no problem w/ 80 Bergers. Small hole in, mush in the chest cavity and a small exit makes for good hides, too.

[ 01-17-2003, 06:01: Message edited by: Sysephus ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Sysephus, could you also recomend a load for 55gn ballistic tips?

I dont want exits on wolves or coyotes.
and figured that a well placed 55grainer will kill a wolf, while a 70grainer may tear a coyote apart...

Could I use some very fragile match bullets instead of the b-tips and stick to the 70grains?

Matchkings?
Blitzkings? (Are they kinda like a "varmint matchking?)

Thanks a lot for your help mate.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Hi Express,

Since you are in Italy, I would think VV N133 and 135 should be worth considering. Start at 25 gr. and work up (take a look at the online manual).

The blitzking is more frangible than the Ballistic tip: it lacks the "solid base" of the b-tip. The V-max is similar to the b-tip, as well.

A word to the wise: consider temperature! If you are going to Canada, you might just hunt under much cooler conditions. You might consider by putting your loads in an ice chest to temp down during load development. JMO, Dutch. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch that is a very clever thought...
Just how could temp affect loads?
I'm sure extreme temps will change something, I also thought about the barrel. All cold barrel shots for testing and sighting in...