Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting to know more about powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
and I'm having a bit of trouble. I'm looking for a resource that breaks down the different characteristics of diff. powders. I've found the relative burn rates, but that leaves me with even more questions. I have pieces of various powders left over from load developments, as do all of you, I'm sure, and would simply like some info not listed in manuals as to which one's I could try for other calibers, but aren't listed. I hate seeing a few hundred bucks worth of powder sitting, and not getting shot up, especially with the availability issues we are facing.
Why are varying powders with relatively similar burn rates not listed in the reloading manuals? Which ones are the same thing, but have different names from different manufacturers? Which ones are known to be temp sensitive, etc.? Does anyone have a link, pdf, or something that compiles this info? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daniel, until recently, all of the major powder companies were competing for your business. Now that Hodgdon has acquired both Imr and Win, things are a little more comparable. If you go to hodgdon's website, you now get loads for hodgdon, imr and Win powders. Or you can read from numerous sources and piece the info together.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant help with pointing you to any published literature but can tell you what has worked for me over the years.
Any time loading rounds for offhand practice I find some powder on the shelf I no longer have a use for. Then I research the reloading manuals to find the closest powder to it as far as burn rates that has published loads. I use the starting load for my rounds and shoot away.

Most of the time I am using really slow powders like 7828 or H870 or 1000 in smaller cases and there is nothing to even compare against. For these I just figure out what will fill the case without compressing the load and go from there. Just takes a little common sense and research to make sure the pressures will be low and the case will be full.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you go to hodgdon's website, you now get loads for hodgdon, imr and Win powders.

thanks, I did, and the data is very helpful.

quote:
Or you can read from numerous sources and piece the info together.

that is what I've been doing, but I'm not sure I trust what John Q. Smith has stuck on the web. I know that years and years of reloading will give me even more knowledge, I'm just lazy I guess and want the knowledge now, so I can use it now, and not blow up a gun.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
All you need are 3 or 4 reloading manuals. Some are better than others, but if you get 3-4, it pretty much covers most powders & their viability in other calibers. I like Lyman#49, SPeer #14 & the current Hornady.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Good info on powder, but maybe not exactly what your looking for. Powder info

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Someone had posted on another thread about mil surp powders, and I don't recognize any of the names, like WCC846. I there a commercial powder that is the same as this, as I've found no info on loads for this powder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. Look. Col. Nonte went over this in one of his books at length. When they turn the machine on they don't know exactly what will come out. Not unusual in chemistry manufacturing. Yes, they will know if it will be string or ball or flake and if it will resemble 4227 or 4831 or bullseye or 785, for instance. But they don't know nothing until the machine shuts down and they take some and test it. THEN they take the "lots" that are close to "commercial burn rates" and set them aside for blending to the "commercial burn rate" and canning into cans labelled "4227?" "4320?" "H380?" etc. Maybe they modify the burn rate with a coating... Graphite is common for grounding against static electricity. The rest is sold by the rail car load to ammo makers with labs. They "work up a load" for whatever is on the line and then load a couple hundred thousand rounds... Used to be they all loaded .30/'06 and .22 Long Rifle. Now it is .308 and .223, excuse me, 7.62x51mm NATO AND 5.56mm NATO.

The better info on comparison I have seen is in Cartridges of the World. They even had name and burn rates on powders usually used in military ammo. You mention WCC846. The "WCC" means Winchester (Cartridge Corp?). The 846 is a common lot for .223 and .308. Supposedly "CLOSE" to BL C2 and H335. But if you "get stupid" and think you can load surplus with commercial burn rate data recklessly, you will blow your head off and deserve too. Start "way low" and work up CAREFULLY!!!, Please.

During times of "peace" there are sources that sell surplus powder. gibrass.com. patsreloading.com. They advertise in Shotgunnews.com under reloading components. (Surprise). 4831 is pretty much gone. The varieties of 4895 come and go. 844 and 846 are common. 8600 and 870 are common. W295, first cousin to W296... You got to look and see what you are willing to "work with."

IMR/Dupont used to have a data manual that listed many pages of shotgun loads and in the back rifle and pistol. Each rifle load listed all the IMR powders. 4064 is about worthless in .22 Hornet, but it is educational to look at results. 4831 is equally rediculous in .223, but educational.

If you wish to study the info is there. The data manuals have commercial arrangements ... surprise. Sometimes in the discussion they will mention that some powder was close and not unuseful but extra dirty so they didn't report it. If you dig you can find what you need. Of if you experiment CAREFULLY... LUCK. Happy trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's pages often list powder usages that are not commonly listed in the load books. Be aware that Steve IMO sometimes tends to stretch the book with his max loads but he is very knowledgeable.
FWIW, I use my left over partial cans of powder to fire form cases and sometimes even fertilize the roses. No point in risking a finger or eye for a couple of bucks worth of powder.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Someone had posted on another thread about mil surp powders, and I don't recognize any of the names, like WCC846. I there a commercial powder that is the same as this, as I've found no info on loads for this powder.

BL-C-2 popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some time ago, Bartsche was telling us about how much he enjoys using the Surplus Powders. It got me interested and I did some searching around the net, with guidance in the right direction from Bartsche. I was able to locate some information on where the Surplus Powders fit within the typical Burn Rate Scale. I have it and I can locate it, but it will have to be a bit later today.

Perhaps Bartsche can remember which of the Surplus Suppliers provided that Reference info before I get back. I can't remember if it was Powder Valley, the guy in Owensboro, KY, or somewhere else. It also said which was a Ball style Powder and which was Extruded.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Some time ago, Bartsche was telling us about how much he enjoys using the Surplus Powders. It got me interested and I did some searching around the net, with guidance in the right direction from Bartsche. I was able to locate some information on where the Surplus Powders fit within the typical Burn Rate Scale. I have it and I can locate it, but it will have to be a bit later today.

Perhaps Bartsche can remember which of the Surplus Suppliers provided that Reference info before I get back. I can't remember if it was Powder Valley, the guy in Owensboro, KY, or somewhere else. It also said which was a Ball style Powder and which was Extruded.

popcornPowder Valley for Dp85,Dp86,Dp73,Dp74.
WCC844 use H-335 data and work up. WCC846 use BL-C-2 and work up. 2230-C use 2230 data and work up. Dp2200 get info from Accurate powder.
If you happen to have 7383 get info from those who use it and or I'll supply you my report. It really is a horse of another color.
5010 And 5020 Jeff Barlett or find some one that uses it. T 680 start with Win 680 info. Right now these are the only surplus I'm using. beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bartsche.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Thanks Bartsche.

+1 thumb