THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: More moly questions... bore paste and powder mix?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: More moly questions... bore paste and powder mix?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Thanks, I tried searching over there, and oddly enough, various combinations of 'moly' 'bore' 'prep' 'paste' 'grease' and 'powder' didn't come back w/ squat. Dunno if it has something to do w/ the new server software, or what.

By chance would you have a link to the thread you mentioned?

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No practical experience with moly in the powder.

But, I asked the folks over at www.benchrest.com about this same thing. They were very helpful.
Search for " Moly IN the powder " .

I will have practical experience soon as this sounds like a very worthwhile thing to investigate.

Travis F.

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Well, my moly coating is going much better since last time thanks to the folks here. So I figured I'd ask again for some info and advice.

When I've used moly in the past, I've always just used the coated bullets, and kept the cleaning to an absolute minimum, as sometimes I've had a bit of issue w/ zero settling in after cleaning. Never really kept track of the round count for any particular gun that it took to get settled in, but it was there in some, not in others.

I've noticed some references to prepping the bore of the barrel w/ a moly grease or paste of some sort as being beneficial in terms of minimizing the # of rounds necessary for the zero to stabilize, to a very small number or none. Is this true, why, and if so, where do I get the stuff and any caveats as far as application?

Also, I've been hearing some rumblings about people seeing benefits from mixing a very small amount of moly in their powder jugs. Something along the lines of lubing things or some such, in any event the claimed benefit was less throat erosion I thought. I don't have the book handy, but I think the most recent place I've seen it mentioned is in David Tubb's book 'The Rifle Shooter'. Anybody here have any experience w/ this practice themselves and care to comment?

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote