THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee unversal 3 jaw chuck ....how good is it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a better way to chuck up brass to run over my neck turner using an electric drill. If you have one does it hold the shell pretty secure and keep it centered? AND can it be adapted to work with a drill??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey kraky

I use one and have one as a spare in case it breaks or something. But I use the Lee Zip Trim. With the zip trim it works great, easier than the individual shell holders. A couple of tricks is that you don't press the case hard into the anvil or the jaws will not catch it square and the case will wobble. Just hold it there without pressure and the jaws will align on the case head correctly. And you need to keep the jaws clean with a wire brush or they won't come out of their groove.

I don't know if they will work with a drill. Of course, I tried the drill and don't see why anyone would use that method when the Zip Trims are so cheap. Big Grin stir

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found where they offer a stud. I think the drill will work better for "controlling" things as I go up and down the neck. Sounds like the chuck "isn't perfect" but may be better than the holders I now have where you never seem to have it "centered" or "tight enough" to hold during the cutting prossess.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
I I think the drill will work better for "controlling" things as I go up and down the neck.

Hey kraky

I outside turn the necks on once fired using the Forster hand held turner. I can rotate as fast or slow as I need to and don't have to hold the drill up to do it. Have the case held there rigid at just the right height, rotate a 1/4 turn or spin it fast as needed.

I consider you one of the gurus of case prep and you need to try the Zip Trim. Mount it on a piece of 2x4 and clamp it in your vise. You'll never go back.

Course, I know the other guru HC would never try something new so I'm counting on you! animal

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote