New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338 RUM vs.375.375RUM/accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can get good accuracy out of a .338RUM;(700 bdl custom de luxe),I plan buying a .375RUM,can I expect the same accuracy with the .375RUM.

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rejpelly

My 375 Ultra is accurate enough. Currently it prints about 1 1/4" average groups. The barrel has a rough patch at approx. 4 inches from the muzzel. I have fired just about 100 rounds thru it so far. It continues to improve.

The gun is a Bdl I had restocked into a McMillan.

This gun is going to become an old favorite as time goes by. I like everything about it. It's fairly light, powerful, and recoil with reasonable loads is not as sharp as the 338 Ultra. It's got a feel to it that could only be described to another big bore nut.

I also have a 338 Ultra that I spent a fortune on. It shoots better than my heavy Hart Barreled .223, but after all that effort and money I find out that the damn thing has got no soul. My buddies all think this gun is the thing, but I find that accuracy is highly overrated. But thats just me.

The 338 will be for sale.
The 375 will be for my son.

Good luck!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X-MEN;do you use RCBS dies on it,the .338RUM I can get .555MOA with the Hornandy 200grs Interlock bullets(3310 mfg).Have tou tried Hornandy bullets with your rifle,I prefer bullet weights under 250 grs.Thanks...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regpelly

I use Foresters ultra seater with their standard size dies in a coax press. Brass is weighed for gross inconsistencies, flash holes are deburred, cases are fire formed then trimed to square up the cases, and then are deburred. Loaded rounds are run over a Sinclair concentricy gauge with rounds with runout over 0.006 used as foulers and offhand practice.

The only Hornady bullets that I have fired have been some 300gr btsp that a freind gave me. They shot into about an inch with 99 grains of IMR 7828.

The only light bullet I have shot is the 260 Nosler. It shoots into an average of 1 1/4" with IMR 7828. The 260 Nosler is a good game bullet.

I have seen standard bullets come apart at 375H&H velocities so would not recomend Hornadys on game over the size of deer.
My freind has a 375Wby and has had great success with the 250 Barnes X.

My opinion but I think the Ultra is at its best with 270-300grain bullets. Look at the ballistics and you will find little difference in bullet drop. The heavy bullets carry huge energy down range compared to the light ones.
See for yourself!
Good luck!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote