Find
Notify
Tools

Test box of ammo...worth it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey fellas,

I am not a reloader. I buy my ammo from Superior in No Dakota. I have a M70 7mmRemMag that was accurized and re-barreled (Hart) by Hill Co Rifles. It will shoot sub MOA with Superior's loads using Accubonds.

Here's my question...are the different loads in the test boxes from Superior much different from one another, or is this just splitting hairs? There are 5 different powder combinations per box, all using the Accubond bullet.
Is this worth trying out...will the different loads impact that differently/group size?

I'm told to shoot the groups and find which one shoots best, then use that spesific load.

What do you all think???

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do not reload then the "Testing Box" from Superior is a good idea, as is trying several different factory loads, however the "big" factories sometimes change componets, you never know.

If you rifle is shooting sub MOA with the load you are shooting, and you are happy with the bullet then "why worry".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is a hunting rifle you're talking about, you don't need sub MOA except for bragging rights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas!

Yes it is a hunting rifle, so I am very happy with it the way it is, but everyone wants to see just one hole right?

My question really is how much different can each load be from one to the other, using the same bullet?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Wolf,

In general, a rifle will print pretty consistently with any single bullet-powder-primer combo. In my case, my .257 Roberts prints around 3/4" with a Hornady SST and IMR 4350 powder. The rifle doesn't really care if I put in 39, 40, 41, or 42 grains of powder: they all print right around 3/4".

This is what you might call a "Pressure Ideal" load that isn't sensitive to temperature changes. If it's very cold, pressures are slightly lower...if it's very warm, pressures are slightly hotter. In either case, the rifle prints the same.

IMO, if you have a rifle that prints a mid-powder load with a certain bullet, then all the rounds fired in that combo should (theoretically) print relatively the same.

Now for the relative "danger". Let's say that 42gr of 4350 prints 1.25" in my rifle...but 43gr of 4350 prints 1/2". I Theoretically I should be ecstatic at a 1/2" group - but I'm not. The load is now pressure sensitive and shooting that load in a hotter or cooler temperature will change the pressures and therefore change consistency.

In a hunting situation you want consistency over a wide range of temperatures. A 1" group that is consistent over a wide range of temps is far better than a load that will print 1/2" @ 100 degrees and 2" at 40 degrees.

Ok, we've addressed conceptually the "one bullet, one powder" load. Now we have the "one bullet, multiple powder" testing.

Take one bullet, the 117gr. Hornady SST for my .257 Bob. I can test IMR 4350, H4350, RL7, RL15, IMR 4895, and H414 powders (for instance). My goal here is to fine one Powder that consistently prints a better group overall. That's the benefit of powder testing: to find the one powder that resonates best with your rifle.

Is it worth doing? Sure...IF you reload your own and are willing to mentally screw with yourself as such! Believe me, it's entirely possible to drive yourself insane trying to find that one perfect load! The problem is, most rifles simply are not capable of that "perfect" hole!

If your rifle can regularly drop 3 rounds in a 3/4" group - call it good and retire! Buy 5 boxes of the same lot number for the rifle and just don't mess with it. That's fantastic hunting accuracy and will give you the confidence you need day in and day out.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with rnovi. If you want to drive yourself nuts going for the perfect load, go ahead, but when I am "just hunting", I load up the best basic hand load recipe and use it. In fact I am trying to make myself go into production mode and eventually stop reloading, I only have XX number of years left to hunt, and each trip generally requires no more than four cartridges. Even an African Safari really does not require more than 20 rounds, unless you are shooting the moon or have bad luck.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas! That's what I thought. I will stick with the load I am using, loaded for me by Superior.