Find
Notify
Tools

458 Sabots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

Does anyone know of a bullet maker that makes a sabot for a 458 slug?

I know the slug would have to have a smaller diameter than 458.

This slug would hopefully weight in at 350 plus grains. Have a max length of a normal 400 grainer. Looking for a flat nosed all lead slug that could be driven to 2150 fps.

Trying to achieve 3900 ft lbs in the 45/70.

This may be just wishful thinking but maybe one of you may know of such a combination.

Thanks,
Roger

Posts: 1409 | Location: S. E. ARIZONA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
<chevota>
posted
Last year I looked for a sabot in 458 to use a 30 or 357 slug. Seemed reasonable to me, but no one made one. I guess there isn't much market for goof-off experiments. If you find any let me know, I'd still like to try it.

In a modern rifle like the Marlin 1894 lever, unofficially rated at 43,500psi, 4000+ftlbs is obtainable. From all the data I've gathered the 300gr jacketed bullets with RE-7 are where the most muzzle energy is in the 45/70. Of course as bullet weight goes up, power goes down.
If and when I get my Crony fixed I'll post velocity results from experiments in my 22" bbl rifle.

<Kimmo E>
posted
I have a catalog were 45cal sabot with .38 180gr xtp(hornady) is listed probably intended for blackpowder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chevota, Kimmo,

Thanks for your info.

Chevota, if you do manage to get the needed velocity out of the load you have, let me know.
I would experiment with this to achieve the 3900 ft. lbs needed for the legal requirements in Zim.
This kind of puts the 45/70 on par with a 375 at short range.
You can E-Mail me at mag4570@hotmail.com
You see, I do plan on winning the raffle. HI
Thanks,
Roger

Posts: 1409 | Location: S. E. ARIZONA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
<chevota>
posted
Ok, now I see what you're up to. Where I live there is a similar law for deer, I think it's 1000ftlbs at 100yards. But if the factory rating for the cartrage you want to use does not meet that then it is illegal reguardless of what you hand/custom load. So check the rules. If they just want published data then check the reloading books. My Speer #10 book only shows data for a 400gr jacketed, but max listed is 2178fps, that's about 4200ftlbs.

<chevota>
posted
Kimmo E:

That's where I got the idea in the first place, but I wrote two sources for those a while back and they said the diameter wrong. I can't remember if it was too big or too small. But like many things in life, just because someone, or everyone says it can't be done, doesn't mean it's so. Maybe I should try requesting a sample.....

<Kimmo E>
posted
Probably cant they stand that velocity you want but maybee a light training/smallgame round.
They are really cheap so it might be worth a try?

dia .452?

Kimmo