New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS piggyback conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used a single stage RCBS RockChucker Supreme press for several years and it has served me well. Since my "rounds downrange" count has increased over the years, I have considered getting a nice progressive.
However, @ $300 I can get the Piggyback system and convert my single stage into a 5 position progressive. How would this setup be compared to an off-the-shelf progressive (ie. Dillon)? Would it be worth the $300,or better to save/buy a used 550 or 650?
I am a bit of a tightwad, and am currently house hunting, so $$$ is a big consideration. Accuracy/hunting loads will be done single stage, progressive will only be used for pistol and blasting ammo.

Posts: 139 | Location: Fairmont, WV | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the piggyback 2 and it works well for me. I use it only for plinking rounds for my .357. If I want "serious" rounds I load them single stage so I can pay attention to everything that is goin on.
I got my hands on another RC press to mount it on so I would not have to take it off and then put it back on all the time.
Keep an eye on ebay and you can get one cheaper(most of the time)
I don't know enough about Dillion to offer an opinion but I have never heard many bad things about them.
Maybe a turret press from Lee would speed things up enough to help and they are eaiser on the wallet.
Good luck.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Piggy Back II's and it loads rounds very easily, but it is like any Progressive you have to pay attention while using it. Setup was fairly simple and I haven't had any problems with it, I've had it since about 2000. I even use it on my new Lee Cast press. I load 40 S&W, 357 Sig, 357 Mag & Max, 357 x 44 B&D and 45 ACP on it wih no problems. You can always move up to a dedicated progressive press if you want to later when funds are a little more available. I'll stick with my Piggy Back.

Steve E..........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote