Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with ejection
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have a Savage Model 14 in 300 WSM. I had no trouble with the rounds feeding until recently. I FL sized the new brass, trimmed it and then chamfered it. I then shot some groups and reloaded only partially FL sizing. I repeated this with the brass 4-6 times.

This fall, I decided to take the rifle hunting so, I FL sized the brass again, checked the trim and loaded some rounds. When I started to unload the rifle, the chambered round would not extract. I had to knock it gently out with a ramrod. I cheked another round and it would not come out. I checked factory ammo and it ejects perfectly.

I took the rifle and a couple of rounds to a reputable gun shop. The guy there said I needed to size the brass further down. I sized it nearly to the rim??? I thought I'd sized it as deeply as possible. The rounds feed through the magazine fine and they are not difficult at all to chamber so, does anyone have an idea?

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't happen to seat your bullets out farther this time and they're sticking in the rifling perhaps?

Otherwise, gunshop guy may be right. Feeding through the magazine doesn't tell you anything and you can apply quite a bit of force without seeming to while closing the bolt.

The other thing may be that your extractor is a bit marginal. Factory rounds are probably smaller in dimension than your reloads even when you full-length resize. If the extractor is slipping off of the case head when the case is "snug" in the chamber, then you may need some repair.

And, of course, it's the extraction that's giving you trouble - not the ejection.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
After 5 or so loadings, a bottle necked case needs to be FL sized. But, you seem to indicate you did so.
Did you mic the loaded case neck? The case head? Have you cleaned and lubed the inside of the case neck before sizing? Are your dies Hornady dies?

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I have not measured the loaded rounds...I'll have to try and post that tonight or tommorrow. I did indeed FL size the brass b/c I didn't want any feeding / extraction issues when hunting. The extractor leaves a shiny mark on one side of the brass when it slips off.

Odly enough, I fired one of these rounds before I knew there was an extraction problem. The spent case extracted fine after firing. I knew the rounds were loaded well below max so I fired another and that case also extracted fine after it would not come out as a live round. I don't wish to push my luck so, I'm not going to fire anymore until the exact problem has been solved.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you found your own problem,when they say full length resize they mean that.All the way down to the rim. Set your die up in the press so when you stroke down your lever arm,that the die and shell holder meet it just cams a tiny bit over top dead center.That should take care of your problem. vangunsmith

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah ejection problems - they have drugs for that Big Grin Razzer Wink

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I once had the shoulder buldge on a batch of 300WSM loads. It was hard to see with your eye but you could measure them and find the problem. I believe I had the seating die screwed in too far and it was trying to roll crimp, just enough pressure to buldge the shoulders for a tight fit.

Could possibly be the problem.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be too simple, but, are you closing the bolt before you extract the live round? The savage extractor will not grab the rim until you close, (turn down) the bolt. It extracted fine when you shot it.

Edit: I see its a WSM, they are Savages version of controlled round feed. You're on your own there, I don't have one.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote