THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me abou Hornady 60 gr. TAP Bullets please.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought some of these lead tipped bullets a while back. Most TAP ammo is designed to fragment pretty easy so it doesn't keep passing through walls of buildings. BUT these are a lead tipped bullet and I think they were designed to actully penetrate a little more than normal. I've done a search here, at google and at hornady itself but can't find the answer. Does anyone remember the intent ofthis bullet. I have a friend that want's a tougher bullet for his 22.250 and this might fit the bill.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you got hold of the 60 gr. Hornady Barrier bullet. I haven't been able to get desent repeatability in two .223s, one .222, and two .22-250s. I don't fully understand if the info was true or not when I bought them but supposedly they were meant to penetrate well???? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I e-mailed Hornady but sometimes it takes weeks to get an answer back. Will let you know what they say--I was thinking they were supposed to be a tougher bullet too.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I believe TAP means Tactical And Police.....and the term is merely a cover for just another bullet.

If you want a tough bullet for the .22-250 for bigger game I believe Nosler makes a 60 Grain Partician.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 60 gr. 222 cal. bullets from Hornady in SP and H.P. are excellent deer and antelope bullets within their range limits and for broadside shots...I have shot many deer with them in 222 Rem to 22-250..they normally leave a nickle size exit hole and they have always expanded well for me. If they don't exitm, then like any small caliber 22 and 6MM they many times do not leave a good blood trail..I only used them in fairly open country for that reason.

I am not a big fan of using the 22s for deer although I have done so many times, and when properly applied they work just fine...keep shots off the shoulder bone and they kill very fast as a rule...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TAP=Tactical Application Police- Sounds like you got the barrier bullets that would go through walls-car doors and glass. They have a Polytip one that will fragment easily also. They sold them buy the thousands through www.midsouthshooterssupply.com a while back for the 223 Call them if you need info 1-800-338-3220-Hornady's #

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got some of the TAP bullets as well.
In a .223 with 13 gr Blue Dot, they can cut a ground squirel in half.

Those surplussed TAP bullets were an extremely good buy.

I had a couple thousand moly coated. I have only shot 200, but I am very impressed.

Seafire tells me that for ground squirels a 45 gr hollow point is better for getting pink mist, but the TAP are very good.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clark--are yours poly tipped?? Mine are lead tipped but I do remember they were advertised as a "barrier" bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine have an exposed lead tip.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote