Find
Notify
Tools

Need 30-06 190gr HPBT Moly Load
 Login/Join

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Hello all,

I am going to develop a load using 190 grain Sierra HPBT Moly from my Rem 700 30-06 with 26" #7 barrel. Hoping to achieve 2800 FPS with sub MOA accuracy. I am thinking RL-19 might be the best powder considering case capacity and reduced friction of moly coated bullet, but have not purchased powder yet. Any input from the board on recommended powder/primer appreciated. Thanks, MM

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a rifle with known accuracy problems (Deep Throat and loose chamber), I got decent results and about 2640 fps with Hornady 190 BTSPs and a maximum load of H4350, without even nudging the pressure limits as far as I could tell. Should be able to go faster with moly.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut to the chase and use Alliant 22. I make 2830 with a 22" with 180's. Your extra barrel length should allow the speed you desire. I use only 210's-- and get moa to 600 yds with a Marlin MR-7. I'm using 61 grs- a max per Nose-lers book.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Aladin, I am considering RL22 also. I do not know how many grains of rl22 will fit in an '06 case. I know the nosler manual shows 61 grains as a 104% load with a 180 gr bullet. How full is your case with 61 grains of rl22? MM

<Pumba>
posted
Marine,

Quickload suggests that you may want to try Alliant Reloder 22. A starting charge of 57.0 grains is recommended. If you use the same maximum pressure that a 7.21mm Remington uses you can possibly achieve velocities approaching 2,900 fps.

Good Hunting !

one of us
posted Hide Post
MontanaMarine: my case is about 1/4 the way up from the junction of the neck base- using Lee collet dies. Tell ya what, I'll run in and full one and see what she holds.

OK- I used a Rem case weighing 199.5 grs- which is about as heavy as they get. Filling the case to half way up the neck- settling by tapping the case side with a small steel rod- this method made for 62 grs of 22. The case was full sized to the shoulder, minus pushing that back. 61 grs should settle easily. If it was my gun- the load would be 60 grs, course yours isn't one in the same. Skip the mag primer- my chrono-ing sez the Fed 210's do the same or better with slightly less chamber pressure.

Let me know how it shoots!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Thanks for the info from all, RL22 looks like it may meet or exceed my goal. I will do some development with RL22 and VVN560 with 210M primers. It will be a month or so (have to earn a living) but I will post my results. Thanks again, MM

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
I think the Nosler book is a little weak. I used the same data of 61 gr. Reloader 22 for 180 gr. bullet. The chronograph was true teller on this, because my M700 was launching at 2640-2650 fps out of a 24 inch tube which Nosler claims to be using the same lenght tube, but at 2870 fps? . Later I went to the 30-no-6 (a little joke there!)improved data for 180 grainers, and bumped up a grain to 62 gr., and guess what I got, a true 2800 fps. with no pressure problems, ( no stuck bolt handle, flat primers). Plus it shot a pretty good group.

CK

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anything, the Nose-ler manuals of recent yrs are some of the best. Granted they use pressure barrels- which will produce slightly more velocity than a normal factory gun. Yet, I got 2830 fps out of a Marlin MR-7 with 61 grs with 180's in a 22" tube- and not with excessive pressure. My now shot out Hart 24" matched their 06 data almost to the fps with 22, 19, and a couple other slower powders.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Well, finally got some rounds downrange, 60.5 grains of RL22 under Sierra 190 MK moly lit off with Fed 210 primers. Compressed load but no signs of excess pressure at all. Shot 25 rounds at 200yds. Trying to establish some moly on the bore. My best group was three shot .75 inch at 200 yards. I bought a Bald Eagle standard front rest and protector rear bag and used it for the first time, nice!(I'm usually shooting over an ammo can with a sweatshirt over it). Didnt check velocity, no chronograph, but christmas is coming! Thanks to all for your input on this. MM