New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powders and bullet for the 7X57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've found a bullet and two powders that give excellent results in my 7x57 -- A Ruger 77 Mark II. Nothing has been done to the rifle to improve its accuracy since it left the factory.

The bullet is the Sierra 140 grain softpoint boattail. 53 grains of H4350 gave me velocities of 2935 to 2943 f.p.s.; my best 3-shot group at 200 yards with this was 0.96 inch.

52 grains of H414 gave me velocities of 2983 to 2990 f.p.s., with a 3-shot group of 1.04 inches at 200 yards.

Both these are hot loads, but they gave no signs of high pressure in my rifle -- no flattened primers or heavy bolt lift.

Winchester brass (loaded many times), WLR primer. All loads were to an overall length of 3.03 inches. Crimped with the Lee Factory Crimp die.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
bewilderedSounds like you have a winner. Is there a point or question?roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Is there a point or question?roger

No, except that these powders and this bullet are likely to give good results in other 7x57 rifles.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are typical results, H4350, H414, RL19 are the ones that work for the 7x57, for me H414 being the standard bearer. It just seems to work in all of them, as well as in .338-06, .30-06, 9.3x62, .375, .220 Swift, .243, etc.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seldom nee 3000fps or even near it for deer. Pretty happy with 2800 fps with 139 grain bullets and 2600 fps with 160 grain bullets. If I need more speed that is what the 270 is for.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LE270:

Have you chronographed that load without the crimp?

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found out that Winchester case capacity is greater than Remington in the 7x57. I have a 1982 Ruger 77 and hit max with 49 gr IMR-4350 and 150 gr. NBT's. 49 gr. filled the unfired Remington Cases to the very top. Primers weren't flattened but the bolt lift was a bit stiff after a couple of shots in warm weather so I backed off a grain. An internet friend has no problem with loading 50 gr. in a winchester case and loads heavier bullets. LE How far out can you seat the bullet? What is your OAL? With 150 gr. NBT's I can seat out to 3.170. My friends has a longer throat. I think your loads would be real hot in my Ruger, but I haven't loaded Winchester brass, either. I have a .280 if I want more speed. However, the 7x57 is the more fun rifle to shoot IMO. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about not remembering what I read in your post LE. Went back and noticed your OAL to be 3.03. I have loaded the Sierra Flat Base Pro Hunter out to 3.24. I can't come close to you for accuracy. Maybe I need to shove 'em in a little further. Darn good shooting. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to vote for H414. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and with the 162 gr. Hornady SST seated way, way out there so it is .01 inch off the lands, in front of 48.3 grains of H414, I get chronographed 2,815 fps and sub half minute of angle three shot groups off a sandbag rest and with no wind at all. I have no pressure signs showing up. I could go to another caliber, but why? I am a firm believer in extracting every bit of performance a caliber and rifle has to offer. The Hornady and the Nosler Partition in 160 grain are used exclusively in my CZ. The rifle has never even had a factory load fired through it.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two sons and I all have 7x57's, and H-414 is the best powder in all of our rifles.
Don

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
[No, except that these powders and this bullet are likely to give good results in other 7x57 rifles.

thumbI have two 7x57s each with a 19" barrel and front mounted (scout) scopes. These are fast acting good off hand rifles. Bullets from these are not pushed to what might be MAX. A 162 gr. bullet at 2525fps or a 175grbullet at 2435fps in the hands of a reasonably good shot and hunter will down any game in the lower 48.

The 150 gr. bullets driven at 2640 fps. will do the job as well though some might feel that is a little light for elk.I know that it is adequate.

If you derive pleasure from stretching the rubber band I can well understand it. I was of the same frame of mind in the 50s and 60s and I did enjoy it and I have a couple of rifles with set back eek2 that attest to that. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomk:
LE270:

Have you chronographed that load without the crimp?

No, I have not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57mm:
I have to vote for H414. I own a CZ 550 American in 7x57mm and with the 162 gr. Hornady SST seated way, way out there so it is .01 inch off the lands, in front of 48.3 grains of H414, I get chronographed 2,815 fps and sub half minute of angle three shot groups off a sandbag rest and with no wind at all.

I haven't tried that bullet, but I did try the 162 gr. Hornady softpoint boattail. So far I have not been able to get results that I consider to be satisfactory from it.