New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloads difficult to chamber in bolt action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I own a ruger MkII M77 .270 cal bolt.My reloads are very difficult to chamber in this gun.Fac ammo loads fine.I really have to push on the bolt to get it to close.I'm using new w-w brass,rcbs 2 die set and a lee crimp die.Am i sizing the brass wrong that its hard to chamber? Any help welcome!Could it be the crimp die?

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Try it without the crimp die...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does a bolt action .270 even need a crimp?

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, a .270 should not need a crimp. Make sure you adjust your sizing die so that it just touches the shellholder with the ram all the way up. Before you charge the case, or prime it, try to chamber the newly re-sized brass. It should chamber easily.

If you are crimping too hard, you may have slightly deformed the shoulder of the case, thus not allowing it to chamber. You should be able to compare a factory, unfired round with your reloaded, crimped round and see if the shoulder has been deformed.

There should be no need to crimp any of your .270 loads. Good luck, keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just sized a new case after adjusting my sizer die like you said.The new case feeds nicely.I won't crimp anymore.Thanks for your help!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The LEE Factory Crimp Die will not deform the shoulder of your case. It crimps by an entirely diff. method than your seater die. Crimping can be a good thing for any catridge. See Saeed's test on crimping with the Lee Factory Crimp Die in the FAQ section. www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the results of your test. I always wondered about the impact of crimp/no crimp. This could be a significant impact to a competition target shooter but for hunting loads it shows that the effort of crimping does not pay significant dividends.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

If the neck expander isn't lubricated it may drag enough to pull the shoulder forward. Try a dab of lube on a q-tip and lube inside at the neck/ shoulder junction.
Good Luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
ALthough you don't need to crimp a 270, if you stop and think about it, ALL factory bullets are crimped. Since your problem was one of reizing and the Lee crimp is a different process not affecting your brass, I'd go back to it if it was helping yuou tighten up groups. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote