THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    7MM-08 Velocities With 140Grn Bullet & 22" Barrel?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7MM-08 Velocities With 140Grn Bullet & 22" Barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took my new F1 Chrony to the range yesterday and checked out the 140 Grn Accubonds on top of Varget. Got the following average velocities from my Rem 700 Mtn LSS 22" barrel using the top three powder charges.

41.0Grn 2,673 FPS
41.5Grn 2,716 FPS
42.0Grn 2,752 FPS

I know it's not much of an increase, and although it's a bit nitpicky, I would like to get it up to 2,800 FPS as per my ballistics program that velocity most closely matches the bullet drop compensator notches of my Burris 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex reticle.

The Nosler 5th edition shows a velocity of 2,849 for the Ballistic Tip with 42.0Grn of Varget using a 26" barrel. I'm shooting a 22" barrel and not showing any pressure signs at 42.0Grns of Varget (shot at 84 degrees outside temp). Considering the difference in barrel length, would it be OK to edge past the 42.0Grn max at say .2 grns per increment and watching for pressure signs?

Are any of you guys getting 2,800 fps or better out of a 22" barreled 7MM-08? If so, could you please share bullet / powder / primer / brass info?

Thanks

firstshot
---------------------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by First Shot:
Are any of you guys getting 2,800 fps or better out of a 22" barreled 7MM-08?

Heck yes. 49 grains of Win 760 gave right around 2950 from my 22" A-Bolt with Partitions & Balistic Tips. That was with CCI LR primers and Rem brass. The same load gave 2907 with a 145 Speer. No pressure signs, but work up cautiously.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, were the Partitions & BT's at 2950 FPS 140Grn bullets?

I know that every gun is different, and we're talking about a different bullet (Accubond vs BT & Partition), but does a 200 FPS difference seem within the realm of normal?

This was my first time out with the F1 Chrony. I also got an average velocity of 2,598 FPS with Hornady 154Grn RN on top of 41.0 Grns of IMR 4064.

Anyone know of a way to test the accuracy of the F1 Chrony? I was thinking about picking up some of the high dollar 22 Match ammo and using that to test the chrony. For example all of the Lapua 22 ammo shows a velocity of 1,072 FPS. Think that would be a good test?

firstshot
----------------------------

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to some manuals you can go up another 2.5gr to 44.5gr. One is the 4th edition of sierra.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigcountry

The Sierra 5th edition shows max of 43Grn of Varget for 140Grn bullets. Nosler shows 42.0Grns, but thats with a 26" barrel. Hodgdon shows 42.2Grn Max, and Hornady shows 41.5Grn (for a 139Grn bullet).

Maybe I'm being way to nitpicky and shouldn't even worry about it, but then again, I sure spend a lot of time trying to get group size down another 1/4".

firstshot
---------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I have also checked out all the max with the 08. I talked to Sierra about this, but they don't use pressure barrels but regular ole off the shelf guns to make thier data. And it varies greatly from edition to edition.

If your not seeing any pressure signs, it should be safe to raise another grain or so. If you use CCI primers or another harder one, you should see primer flattening. The federals flatten at just about every load.

Just throwing that out there. As Sierra says, all a max load is one guy saw pressure signs with one gun. Just a guideline.

I myself have been shooting IMR4350 and with great luck but not topping out on velocity at 2730fps.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys!!!!

I just went back and checked my ballistics program and even at 2,752 FPS, if I sight in dead on at 100 Yds, I should be within an inch of dead center at 200 & 300 Yds using the appropriate hash mark on the reticle.

Getting that extra 50 FPS will not make an appreciable difference. I'm just going to load some up, get to the range and see where she actually shoots at 200 & 300. After all, thats what really matters anyway.

Thanks again

firstshot
-----------------------------
Make your first shot count!!!

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Not the same bullet (or rifle), but I am loading 43.5gr of Varget (AR2208) behind a 140gr Nosler B/Tip without pressure signs, other than slightly flattened WLR primers - I could probably go higher without problems. Rifle is a custom barreled Ruger 77 silhouette shooter.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jon, were the Partitions & BT's at 2950 FPS 140Grn bullets

Yes.

The 200fps difference could be from several things. Mostly, I think your load is quite mild (mine were certainly max) and W760 may be capable of more speed from this round and weight than Varget. And especially since this is the first time you've used it, you might want to get somebody to shoot over your Chrony with a load/rifle that has been verified at a certain velocity over a different chronograph.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 VLS 7mm08 with a 26" barrel. I have just started testing with IMR 4895 & 140gr Ballistic Tips. I don't have my notes with me but so far I am seeing velocities around 2450 to 2500fps, using the same model Chrony. I will check my notes & give you more exact information later.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HiWall:
Not the same bullet (or rifle), but I am loading 43.5gr of Varget (AR2208) behind a 140gr Nosler B/Tip without pressure signs, other than slightly flattened WLR primers - I could probably go higher without problems. Rifle is a custom barreled Ruger 77 silhouette shooter.

HiWall

What is the barrel length on your Ruger 77?

firstshot
--------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
first shot, I load 44.0 grains of RL-15 with 140 grain sierra b.t. WLR. primer 24 in. rem.S.S. shot over croney. at 2944 fps. same load in my brotherinlaws rem. 22in is 2790 fps. but i have taken a 30-06 with 52 grains of 4064. with a 150 and in 3 different rifles they all shot 150 fps different with the same barrel length. same brand of rifel.

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
first shot, I load 44.0 grains of RL-15 with 140 grain sierra b.t. WLR. primer 24 in. rem.S.S. shot over croney. at 2944 fps. same load in my brotherinlaws rem. 22in is 2790 fps. .

vines

The Sierra 5th edition shows a max of 41.2 for RE-15. Is that the same as RL-15?

firstshot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a similar load as Jon A:
49 grains W760
F-210m or Rem 9.5 primer
Hornady 139 SP
velocity = 2950 fps
accuracy = less than .5 MOA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderstick:
I use a similar load as Jon A:
49 grains W760
F-210m or Rem 9.5 primer
Hornady 139 SP
velocity = 2950 fps
accuracy = less than .5 MOA

Thunderstick

What's your barrel length?

firstshot
----------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
First shot, Yes it is the same RELOADER-15 I get my load from LYMAN reloading. It is a safe load in my gun. i worked up slowly . very few reloading manual use pressure barrels any more. that might be max for there load but it might not be for yours. yes you need to start low and work up slow and watch for signs of pressure. things like flattend primers. or split cases. I have loaded this load for a long time. and still load the same cases over and over with very little trim work. my primers are still round on the edgde and no blow by. and my primer pocket is still tight . Every time i buy a new can of RL-15 I start down and load up. because from lot to lot powder changes a little bit have you ever shot a box of HORNADY LIGHT MAG. they are HOT.

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
firstshot, i was looking over the post and seen where HIWALL was loading 43.5 grains of VARGET. the HODGDON book is max at 42.5 but it is a safe load in his rifle. the point is work up slowly. if it was not safe i would not be using it. it might or might not be hot in your rifle. my load will shot .850 at 100 meters if the weather is right,. and i feel like shotting. Be careful, and good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thunderstick

What's your barrel length?

22.5"

This charge is also listed in the Speer #12 manual.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
vines

By no means questioning the safety of your load in your gun. Only you can do that. I really appreciate the help!!!! I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same powder. I've got a 140 Game King load that I've loaded up a bit over max. Like you said, go slow, and whatch for pressure signs.

I think I will try some of the Reloader-15 and see where it goes.

Jon A / Thunderstick

WIN 760 sounds like a good option as well. How much does 49Grn fill up the case? The Accubond is a very long bullet and sticks way down in the case.

HIWALL

I would think that the 140 Accubond and the 140 Ballistic Tip would be aproximately the same size bullet. I'll probably start with just increasing the Varget charge .2 Grns at a time and watching for pressure signs.

firstshot
-------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WIN 760 sounds like a good option as well. How much does 49Grn fill up the case? The Accubond is a very long bullet and sticks way down in the case.

With the 139 SP there is room to spare, so at the most the Accubond may slightly compress the powder. You do really need to try this powder or H414 -- a similar clone. In my experience these are some of the best for accuracy and velocity combined.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderstick:
With the 139 SP there is room to spare, so at the most the Accubond may slightly compress the powder. You do really need to try this powder or H414 -- a similar clone. In my experience these are some of the best for accuracy and velocity combined.

Thunderstick

I'll definitely give it a try. My goal is to find the load that provides the highest velocity and the smallest groups at the same time. This is my only deer rifle, so all my focus is on working up loads for it.

Thanks for your help!!!!

firstshot

one of us
posted Hide Post
First shot i have read and talked to reloading companys where 760 and 414 are the same powder. when the company gets in a barrle of it. It has W760 and H414 on the same sticker. if you see a different load data in the book, they came from different lot numbers. H110 & W296 are also the same powder. friends R. vines

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First shot here is what I have found so far in my testing. This is with a 26" barrel.
37gr IMR 4895 2445fps
37.5gr IMR 4895 2461fps
38gr IMR 4895 2527fps
38.5gr IMR 4895 2558fps
This is using a 140gr Ballistic Tip seated at 3.319" which is .005" off the lands in my rifle. These are averages of 5 shot groups. I am using the same loading Nosler loading manual also. I also have a 700 Mtn rifle in 7mm08 but I have not done any testing with it so far.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
FWIW-Be very careful working at the upper end with Varget. It jumps from no pressure problems to major problems in a heart beat. I started using RL-15 in lieu of Varget just for that reason.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
First Shot: I think your chrony is pretty close on velositys.

H414 (W760) will give the highest velosity in the 7mm08.

My hunting load is 49.5 grains of H4350 in Win case, CCI200 primer, 140 TSX. IMR 4350 would not get up to speed in my gun.

hvy barrel: try 40.5 of IMR 4895. It shoots great with nearly every 140 grain bullet I've tried with it (2760 fps in my gun).

Working on a 120 Ballistic Tip load, Nosler book max of 45.5 grains of Varget gave me a two hole/three shot group over the weekend.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thunderstick:

FS, I've tried/used 760 in my 708 with 150BTs, did NOT experience good accuracy with it, if I remember right I'd get groups in the 1.75" range. When Varget and RE15 came along I decided to try them, so I pulled all the remaining bullets that had 760, (about 75) in them and worked up a load with Varget. Well, every group I got would put 2 of the three bullets in the same hole and one off to the left or right no more than 7/8" away, 39.5grs. is what I settled on and I'm enjoying sub 1/2 moa groups. While I'm probably getting around 2700fps I know that the 708 will put a deer down(instantly) at 110 paces with a muzzle velocity of 2300fps(long story, told many times on this forum) with this same bullet, but now I've got great accuracy, too.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob in TX

Thanks for the heads up on the Varget sudden extreme jumps in pressure!!! Eeker Think I'll steer clear of that option!!!

hvy barrel

Do those velocities seem a little slow for a 26" barrel? Nosler manual shows 2,737 for 39Grn for 26" barrel. I'm getting 2,750 with varget from a 22" barrel.

floridabigfish / vines

I'm going to pick up some RL-15 and some W760 or H414 today. Hope to try out one or the other by this weekend.

Thanks
firstshot
--------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the velocities do seem a little slow according to the book but, I think it is because of the seating depth for my rifle. I plan on working up to the max listed & see what the groups & pressure look like. If the groups look good & the pressure seems ok & imight creep past the max a little. If the groups don't improve or the pressure jumps up to high I will make a note of where I got the best groups & move on to another powder.
Thanks for the tip bigfish I will try it & see how it does.