Find
Notify
Tools

educe loads( Unburned powder)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Roll EyesFor some time I've been thinking of reloaders using slow burning powders for reduced loads in small capacity cartridges and cast bullets normally requiring faster burning powders . I've done a little of this in the past to a small degree but today gave it kind of an acid test. shocker
Roll EyesUsing a mod. 200 Stevens with a 22PPC barrel a number of various weight bullets were tested using: WXR., H-4831, DP85 (close to the 4350s) DP 86 ( slower than the 4831s ) 10 rounds of each load were fired.
The resultant repeatabilities ran from great to shity, but that wasn't the important effect. All the loads were dirty from degrees of unburned powder which tended to JAM the action. Often during the testing the action and chamber had to be cleaned in order to continue. The barrel during the 2 1/2 hour testing was not cleaned and visually it doesn't look too good. thumbdown
What I saw today really looks like bad idea loading. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Powders need certain minimum pressure to burn completely. I even observed this with slower powders like H110 in the .45 LC, you need to go very high until combustion is clean and leaves little to no residues.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
Powders need certain minimum pressure to burn completely. I even observed this with slower powders like H110 in the .45 LC, you need to go very high until combustion is clean and leaves little to no residues.

coffeetotally agree. The h-110 in a revolver, other than a fully loaded 44 Mag., loses pressure when the bullet fully enters the barrel. This happens because of the gap between the cylinder and barrel. In a 38 special The cast bullets have got stock in the barrel. In a 38 special rifle, however, the H-110 is a great performer. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you try pointing the muzzle upward and then slowly bringing it down on target? This is supposed to settle the powder against the flash hole. And did you try any filler--kapok?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Did you try pointing the muzzle upward and then slowly bringing it down on target? This is supposed to settle the powder against the flash hole. And did you try any filler--kapok?

popcornWasn't trying to make it work better; just studying results as is. beerroger