New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Bullet Lube
 Login/Join

<Reddman>
posted
About 20 years ago I sized and lubricated several thousand bullets. I got away from shooting for awhile and now have started shooting again. The lubricant in the bullet grooves is as hard as the lead and I think that I need to remove the old lube and relubricate. Now for the question; does anyone have any good ideas on how to get this old lube out of the bullet groves easy? I tried scalding hot water and that softened it abit but it still took alot of work. I had rather not recast the bullets if possible since I do not have the mold any longer. Reddman

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Red, if your wife doesn't mind, put them on an old cookie sheet & place them in a 300deg oven. It shouldn't take long for the lube to melt & pour off the excess, then relube. You are bound to get smoke so watch them & don't leave them in longer than necessary.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Before you go to a lot of work you might test them for accuracy and leading.

If either is a problem, I would tumble lube the bullets (right over the existing lube) with Lee Liquid Alox. I did this to some old lubed bullets that leaded a lot and it cured the problem very well.

HTH

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wot's the problem? Old bullets old lube, almost poetic. The best way to test them is to SHOOT THEM.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'M WITH GEEKAY ON THIS ONE JUST SHOOT EM.WHY WOULDN'T THEY WORK??