New
Find
Notify
Tools

shot my first handloads today
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I loaded up some real light loads for my 243, 16 grains of 4198 behind a 80grain Winchester spitzers. My friend has 15 acres and noise is a factor that’s why I tried out the reduced loads. I'm thinking the velocity is around 1600fps and the noise was just around that of a 22 mag. Wow shooting those loads were a blast, I didn't have to do any scope adjustments or compensating out to 75 yards. As far as I could tell accuracy was good there was no problem hitting Snapple bottle caps at 50 yards off of cross-sticks. With a pound of powder lasting over 400 rounds and shooting Winchester or Remington bullets its cheaper that my 22 mag! I don't think im ever going to take out the 22mag again!

Posts: 45 | Location: Canyon Country, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's fun to start and rewarding for a long time to come.

Is that a prescribed load from a loading manual?

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its is in both the speer and lyman manuals

Posts: 45 | Location: Canyon Country, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Sean, boy are you hooked! Welcome to the world of reloading. Be safe, and read manuals for basics. Shoot till you have blisters from it. Have fun.

beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote