Find
Notify
Tools

7mm150gr core-lokt entry hole
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
I shot this red stag yesterday with 7mmremmag 150gr core-lokt powered by 60grs of AR2209 at about 150 yards Bullet did not exit,it broke the first shoulder and took heart and lungs out worked well for a cheap bullet.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. That's why I like 160gr premiums from any of the 7mags for all big game hunting, even antelope. I took my Tahr in NZ, a few years ago w/ a 160grNP @ 3250fps. The range was a bit over 120yds & the shot broke the near shoulder, got both lungs & made a 1/2" exit hole (downhill shot). The skinned out shoulder had much less blood shot meat than you picture here.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What blood shot meat? You mean that tiny dark spot.

I really like that 150 gr 7mm Corelock and have used it with great results.

That meat tastes even better if you don't cook it. Hence my screen name.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's exactly why I quit using CLs in anything but 30-30 win. They are just plain soft, too soft for high velocity cartridges.

I've shot many whitetails at close range w/ the 150 CLs out of a 7RM where the entrance holes were huge (1.5-2.5") and nothing but splinters of the jacket made it to the opposite ribs. I prefer to us the 150 NBTs as they give me full penetration on 99% of the shots I take on whitetails. The solid base and thicker jacket of the NBT helps it perform adequately on whitetail size game. Sure there are bullets that will penetrate better but, that's not an issue, I'd rather have a bullet that does a great amount of damage to the internals and penetrates adequately than one that just slips through.

I also experienced the blow-ups w/ the .308 150 grain CLs out of a 30-06 w/ MV in the 2950-3000 range.

I think the Accubonds and Interbonds are definitely a step in the right direction. They give us a happy medium between the "Hard to Destruct" bullets and the "Expanders" which, should result in great results on all deer size game.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong.......
Why would anyone want to shoot a little whitetall deer at close range with a 7mm mag or any magnum for that matter? And you have to use a premium bullet for little deer? Guess I'm outa touch with reality.
Don't flame me.....
I would just use a milder caliber for small deer at close range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just don't know about you corelokt haters. I have never had one come apart and have used them in some pretty fast cartridges like the 270 and 300 Win mag with 130 and 150 grain bullets respectively. This at short range also. In my opinion Corelokts work just fine with exit holes 80% of the time for me with no outsize entrance holes either.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Core-Lokts successfully since 1991(I know I'm a boot). I've used them in 243 and 30-06(100gr. and 165gr.) and have only recovered two 243 ones in 15 or so years. My Dad uses the same bullet in his handloads in 243 as well. What we've figured is that as long as you don't push 'em hard, say over 2800fps, they'll do just fine. The '06 load that I've used is probably that of a 308 vel., maybe 2650 fps. Goes through a deer like no tomorrow and leaves a nickel sized exit wound. I've hit shoulder, neck, chest, and all have done the same. The two CLs in 243 that I recovered were both close shots (60 yards or less) and one was under the skin in the offside shoulder of a large (by WV standards) buck and the other penetrated 2/3 the lenght of a 100lbs. deer at 40 yards. Both bullets held together and mushroomed down to almost the base of the bullet. My Dad, who has used 165 and 180 CLs for over 20 years in 30-06 has never recovered a bullet on deer shot from 25-250 yards and never had an exit wound any bigger than a quarter. Not fancy, not expensive, not flashy, but they work for us. If I were to shoot critters with a velocity much over 2800fps, I'd probably use a different bullet. Oh, as a side note, we've NEVER had a problem getting great accuracy loading CLs and I've shot the best group with my 280 (.43") with 140gr. CLs and 53gr. of IMR 4350. Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Fireman, they do work extremely well if the velocity isn't really high (as you stated). I shot a 7pt at about 20 yards this past season, he was quartering towards me and I hit him right on the shoulder point. The bullet demolished the shoulder, went through the lungs, and was lodged under the hide on the far side. This was from a 30-30win, 150 grner at 2300 fps. Despite losing one shoulder, the bullet perfromed pretty good. It looked just like the mushroom on the Remington factory boxes.

Dan, on the Magnums at close range note, Even when you are hunting in those places where a long shot may occur the short shots often occur as well. I like to be prepared for both. I'd hate to see a buck a few hundred yards away and have the ole' 30-30 in hand.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like fancy bullets, probably for the same reason I like reloading. My dad however shoots factory remington 180g. core locts through his 30-06. Six years in a row when he hunted a buddies range he recoved six mushroomed bullets from just under the far side hide of elk. Distance didn't matter (25-250 yds.). All retained over 90 percent weight. There is just something magical about 2600-2700 fps in my opinion.

PS. For the record the only thing that I own that shoots that slow is my 338-06, and thats because I cant push it any harder! Smiler

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote