New
Find
Notify
Tools

DuPont Number 6
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for reloading data for DuPont Number 6 Pistol powder. Recently found a wood case of this powder and the cans are still wrapped in cellophane. It might be worth more as a collectable though. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rabbithabit:

Philip B. Sharpe's Complete Guide to Reloading (first edition about 1938, last edition 1947 or maybe as late as 1953) probably has some reloading data for DuPont Pistol Number 6. Lyman reloading manuals from the 1930s through the 1950s might be useful. And issues of The American Rifleman from the 1930s through the 1950s might have some data.

But your idea about the value of a case of sealed cans having value as a collectible in its own right is well worth investigating.

Good luck! Let us all know how it all works out!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I know where to start looking. Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rabbithabit:
I am looking for reloading data for DuPont Number 6 Pistol powder. Recently found a wood case of this powder and the cans are still wrapped in cellophane. It might be worth more as a collectable though. Thanks

Dupont Pistol #6 dates from 1932 to 1953. It was used in reduced to medium handgun charges. I have a 1958 copy of Lyman's Handbook of Cast Bullets. It has load data for Dupont #6 for most all pistol cartridges. Which ones might you be interested in?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was interested in 45acp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From Lyman (1958):

45 ACP

200gr wadcutter, 5.1 #6, 970fps

225gr roundnose, 4.7 #6, 880fps

The manual does not show starting loads and states that the loads listed are "maximum loads and should not be exceeded under any circumstances."

Hope this helps.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will give it a try when the weather clears up.