New
Find
Notify
Tools

neck sized loads will not chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
2nd time to load brass. neck sized will not chamber in same rifle. measurements seem to be same length. 22-250 what did I do wrong ? thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neck size empty brass, don't seat a bullet. Will the brass chamber? If not, possible case stretch, or may need to set back the shoulder. Repeat with a full sized brass case. What happens? 22.250 does have a pretty sharp shoulder.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the shoulder has moved forward.

Did you use a Full Size Die but partial size?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much of the neck did you resize? I seldom resize more than ½ the neck. If you try to shrink the entire neck, you may have impinged on the shoulder and created a doughnut at or just behind it.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Make and model rifle?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or when you seated the bullet you changed the neck in some dimension.

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the cases were fired in a different rifle they may not chamber unless full length sized.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the responses. to answer some questions. rifle is kimber 84m ,used lee neck sizer die , cases used in same rifle. thanks again.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Did you check the length of the cases?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You may have altered the shoulder either while resizing or seating the bullet. I managed to do this on some 300RUM one time which also has a sharp shoulder when seating the bullets. The seater was set down too far and was crimping the bullets where there was no cannelure. The result is that the shoulder was bulged out enough that the loaded rounds would not chamber even though you could not see a difference. Could be your sizer is doing that also if you have that set a little too low.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep pushes out the body shoulder junction just a hair... too much.

I have a 308 round in the shop I keep on hand to remind me to check stuff.
I could fix it and shoot it easy enough but it's a nice visual reminder that not always do things go as planned.
especially when your trying to get that round in the chamber while a pretty decent buck is standing 20' away from you [and the truck] calmly drinking water.
only one in the whole 50 count box like that and I just had to pick it out.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a problem that happens all the time and its not the case shoulder. The belted case sometimes expands excessively just above the belt and sometimes a special die is needed to size the case above the belt.

Color the case with a black felt tip marker and see where the case is rubbing/binding in the chamber.

Chambers and dies can vary in size and sometimes the cases are made at minimum distentions. Meaning a skinny case and a fat chamber can cause problems.

This has to do with the design of the case and chamber diameter.

Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die
http://www.larrywillis.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigrdp51:
This is a problem that happens all the time and its not the case shoulder. The belted case sometimes expands just above the belt and sometimes a special die is needed to size the case above the belt.

This has to do with the design of the case and chamber diameter.

Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die
http://www.larrywillis.com/

Oh God! Will this myth never die? Besides, the guy is having difficulty with a .22-250, not a belted round.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The OP is dealing with a 22-250, it's not belted.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, wrong forum and alzheimer's. I thought I answered this belted question but did not post my answer in another forum.

"BUT" the black felt tip marker will still tell the OP where the case is binding.

And the same thing applies, below are two British cases fired in my Enfield rifle. The Prvi case is thicker in the base web area. And the HXP case is smaller in diameter and thinner in the base web area.

And the bulged area in the base of the HXP case will rub and bind if the case body is not sized.

And the same thing can happen with a belted case and is not a myth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fired 2 factory ammo and the fired brass chambered easily. I must have changed the shoulder in resizing or seating the bullet. as black tail suggested. will look closer when I pull the bullets. thanks for the information.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Glad you figured it out;no point in another old fart putting in his opinion.Everything that was said was I would have said,I.E. brass length. \etc. I have in the past had problems with AI brass but that is to be expected.Different chambers,different tolerances.The one truth in this is always use the same brass in that rifle.It's only my opinion but it's very true.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh God! Will this myth never die?

With regard to belted magnum cases I am not sure it is a myth. It was reported in depth in Precision Shooting magazine, and I do own one of those dies which I use for my 300 WM, 7mm RM, and 375 H&H reloading. I have a high regard for the reporting in Precision Shooting, but you probably regard it as "fake news".
I do agree that it is not clear what this has to do with the 22.250 neck sizing problem reported. With regular full sizing dies it is important to have the die seat firmly against the shell holder however.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With regular full sizing dies it is important to have the die seat firmly against the shell holder however.

Peter, I don't think you are considering the relationship of the sizing die to the chamber of an individual rifle.

Doing as you say could result in creating excessive headspace in the resized rounds. Conversely, some FL dies will not size the round adequately unless some thickness is removed from the shellholder.

Besides, when the brand of shellholder and the brand of die are different, there can be a significant difference in how the brass is sized compared to using some other combination of die and shellholder.

Even when the shellholder and die are of the same make, adjusting the die so that it is hard against the shellholder may result in excessively resizing a case for a particular chamber.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If you are using a neck sizing die, you have got it screwed down too much. This is affecting your shoulder.

Solution No1 - just screw the die back 2 or 3 turns and check measurements and if the case chambers easily.

Solution No 2 - do partial full length sizing and use this tool to make every round exactly the same size - EVERY TIME - for ever!
https://www.hornady.com/reload...or-anvil-base-kit#!/

Look at this and other videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HsgB6u2sI

I have been using this tool for about 10 years and it has solved many of my reloading problems and errors.

Unless you are a bench rest / target shooter, I believe that partial full length sizing & using this tool produces the best, most accurate and most consistent ammo.

I also shoot a Kimber Montan in 7mm08 and it shoots very accurately with ammo made using this tool - even out to 400 meters!

The tool is so useful when you change bullets - you can get the ogive clearance from the lands exactly the same for all your bullets, if that is what you want.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
If you are using a neck sizing die, you have got it screwed down too much. This is affecting your shoulder. [...]

Solution No1 - just screw the die back 2 or 3 turns and check measurements and if the case chambers easily. [...]
Yup!

I've been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. That's why I normally adjust my neck sizing die to size only about half the length of the neck.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep this simple, you didn't run them deep enough into the die, I suggest you blacken the neck with a match so you can tell how much of the neck you are resizing and go from there..You may even need to full length resize depending on your chamber..In hunting loads I always full length resize, target loads only get neck sized and still Ive seen little difference in how long cases last and accuracy. a good chamber is the secret to lasting brass.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the responses. have pulled bullets and saved powder. plan now to full length size brass and load them.