New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 180gr Roundnose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have ordered some for an upcoming pig hunt in California. They will be loaded in my Savage 99 in 308Win. I'm a little cramped for OAL with the magazine but I can load them out aways beyond the cannulure. Anybody got any loads for me? What velocity can I expect from a 20" barrel? Hopeing for 2400-2500?
Powders on hand include Re15, 19, 22; H4350, 335, Benchmark, Varget; IMR3031. That's about all I have and don't really want to go out and get more powder. One of these should do the trick I hope.

Thanks,
NoCAL

[ 01-15-2003, 23:29: Message edited by: NoCAL ]

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger ultralight .308, 20" tube, and have no problem reaching 2500 fps with 180's, in fact Remington factory 180 gr rn clock 2600 fps. RL 15 and Varget (almost interchangeable grain for grain) are ideal powders, fire them off with Federal 210's and you're set. If for some reason you don't get acceptable groups, then try the H 4350. I don't have my load data handy, so can't provide charge weights.

Don't worry about seating to the canalure, plenty of room for powder. I was also suprised to find that 220 gr sierra rn loaded to the canalure are easily, and accurately launched to 2150 fps with RL 15, Varget and H 4350.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My 300 Savage '99 LOOVES Rlr 15, not too much difference in those cartridges.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I will try the Re15. That's what I normally use with 150 grain BT's.

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you'd like a crimp in your loads, I urge you to get and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die. With it you can crimp any bullet, cannelure or not, and you can crimp anywhere, either on the cannelure or not on it, as you choose.

My experience, as well as the tests done by Saeed, both suggest that crimping loads with this die does, in fact, increase the accuracy of those loads.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lloyd, I do have one. Haven't used it much. Will try it with these loads.

NoCAL