Find
Notify
Tools

I got a dang case stuck in the die.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I'll explain. My FL die for my 6mm AI will not push the shoulder back at all. I was advised to take a bit off the shell holder so I could bump the shoulder a bit. I lubed some cases, tried it, nothing, etc. I never figured I'd need more lube to size a lubed case more than once. WRONG. The rim came off, and it's too far in the die to get hold of it with vice grips. I've tried pounding it out from above, and it won't budge. I've tried pulling it out with vice grips, but it just mars up the case head. I've searched this topic, and keep seeing about a home made stuck case puller. I'm not much of a mechanical guy, could anyone explain it a bit better? The die is in the freezer right now, heard if I get it ice cold I can maybe get the case to shrink off the die a bit and pop out with some more pounding.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoa
You have an expensive die there be careful

Get a #7 drill or a 13/64 drill

Drill the primer pocket out

Tap it with a 1/4-20 tap

Put a small socket and a washer over the case head.

Use a heat treated capscrew - usually a socket head.

Tighten the cap screw and pull the case out.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, if you've a fairly well equiped sporting goods store, go get a "stuck case extractor kit" use it and put it on the shelf. Once you have one, you'll never need it again. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Basically, what I do in these instances (yes, it's happened to me more than once over the years), is to drill a hole through the primer pocket and thread the case for a standard 1/4" bolt.

Then I put the die in the press from the bottom side of the 7/8-14 hole and screw it in a couple of turns. That way the die is held in position, but the cartridge case head is nowhere near the top surface of the hole in the press yet.

Then I arrange washers in a stack on the top of the press so that I can drop the 1/4 bolt through them and start it into the threaded hole in the case.

By tightening the bolt, it then pulls the case out of the die. I use a hex-headed bolt so I can turn it with an 8" wrench, which provides plenty of leverage & power.

There are numerous little refinements you'll have to think through as you go, the first time. For instance, before drilling and threading the hole in the base of the case, you'll need to back the decapper unit away from the hole by turning the decapping rod out a bit. If you turn it out until it is tight, then turn it some more, it will also drop the expander ball off the decapping rod in most (but not all) makes of dies. In that instance, you can remove the decapper rod totally, just leaving the expander ball rattling around inside the case, which will do no harm and will give you more room to drill and thread.

Anyway, it is easy to do. Just go slow, make sure not to run the drill in at an angle, and think each step through before you begin.

The object is to get the case accessible to the bolt, with a space between the case head and the top of the press. Then with the washers (or other pieces of metal with a 1/4" or larger hole in them) on top the press, by dropping the bolt through the hole and screwing it in, you will be pulling the base of the case upward toward the top of the press. That automatically moves it out of the die.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Just get the stuck case remover. It will come with instructions and every thing you need to remove the case.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Screw this. (pun intended)
I'm going to town tomorrow, hopefully they have a stuck case remover.

This piece of brass is seized so tight, it hasn't budged. I was setting the shoulder back (hopefully) so it was sizing about everything possible. Can't believe running it into the die 3 times made the lube quit working.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

The stuck case remover is exactly what ireload described. I made mine from a piece of aluminum tubing about an inch long and I use a 5/16 bolt.
A socket works as well. just anything to put the pressure on. I am taking some pics of mine and will email them to you
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Got your e-mail. It's about $18 for a stuck case remover here, how much is there in the home made one, maybe $5?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
I will put mine in the mail tomorrow, Just a few min on the lathe and I'll make me another.
And this one is free! ! ! !
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The removal instructions are spot on.
If you used Imperial die wax, you would
not be in this fix.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it in. They will pull it and in return put some imperial in the box for your future use.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
Or, if you've a fairly well equiped sporting goods store, go get a "stuck case extractor kit" use it and put it on the shelf. Once you have one, you'll never need it again. Big Grin

So true. I've had two stuck cases. The first time it happened I bought the stuck case remover and it worked great. The next time it happened it was simply a dirty die. Haven't used it since but I do have it just in case.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
Did you ever get that stuck case out, and did you get my stuck case extractor.
Lyle

Barry M Goldwater.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Sorry YUMAN, just got back from a week at the State Fair. Your stuck case remover is on the counter waiting to be used, things are a bit hectic getting everything back in order. Will report back when I get a chance!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tyler - it might help a bit if you soak the thing in penetrating oil for awhile before extracting

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Good news and bad news.

Bad news-Stuck case remover didn't work, as I tightened the bolt, it just pulled the threads off the case.

Good news-Got some penetrating oil and a stout nail. Soaked the case before I tried the case remover for about 15 minutes. After it didn't work I put a nail in there, pounded HARD, and all of a sudden it budged! The rest was cake, my die seems unharmed, sized some cases and they do fine. I'm a believer in penetrating oil now! Also screwed the die in way past where it touched the shell holder, and now the cases are sized where they chamber easily! I can get back to reloading 6mm Ackley now!

Thanks everyone!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornTyler! BOOMGet yourself some Bardahl to lube the cases. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What is Bardahl?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
...Get yourself some Bardahl to lube the cases...

Do you believe that it's better than Imperial wax?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
...Get yourself some Bardahl to lube the cases...

Do you believe that it's better than Imperial wax?

Hard to say as I haven't used the Imperial wax in almost 40 years, at which time I stared to look for something better.

In wildcating every now and than you have to do some severe forming. After many years of trial and error it seems that Bardahl has done a great job for me; good adhesion,film strength and lubrisity.

Is it any better? I have no comprehensive data only my feeling and results after 50 some years of reloading. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
What is Bardahl?

When you find out, you'll know why most people use Imperial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"What is Bardahl?"

Is it anything like STP (AKA, RCBS Case Lube)? If so it's a GREAT case lube. But STP is the lousyist, nastyest, hardest stuff to get off you ever smeared on a case!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
What is Bardahl?

When you find out, you'll know why most people use Imperial. .
Roll Eyes
Is it anything like STP (AKA, RCBS Case Lube)? If so it's a GREAT case lube. But STP is the lousyist, nastyest, hardest stuff to get off you ever smeared on a case!
Roll EyesOK fishingroger