Find
Notify
Tools

Storage of Reloading Components and Equipment
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have my reloading bench set up in my basement. I have recently built an out building. I insulated the building with 1/4" foam board and overhead with bubble insulation to reflect heat in the summer (I used metal for the sides and roof). The shop has a concrete floor.
What negative effect(s) might my equipment or components suffer if I move my bench to the outbuilding where I will not be heating and cooling the building year round?

Thanks in advance.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Humidity is your worst enemy. Your equip. will likely rust, your powder & primers wll also be affected by long term storage in damp conditions. A dehimidfier would help. Keeping your powder & primers in cabinets w/ desic paks will help.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that humidity is more of a problem than temperature variations. My guess is that in Kentucky, a non-climate controlled building is going to be a problem.

So long as powder is tightly sealed, it will pretty much be okay. I've never seen primers go bad, but then I've always lived in a somewhat dry part of Texas. Rusting/corrosion on your reloading equipment is probably the biggest problem. But your new outbuilding may be less humid than your basement, depending on the nature and ventilation of your basement.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder and Primers are best if kept at a constant temperature. I think I read somewhere that mid 60's was best.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread as I have the same concerns.

My question lies in the component area; powder and primers mostly. My spare bedroom is starting to look cluttered with 8# cans of powder lined up against the wall plus I'm concerned with the obvious.......combustion if the house catches fire.

What do you all use to store your stuff? Some sort of fireproof metal cabinet? Where can they be found for sale? Anybody build their own?......etc

posted Hide Post
i use a $100 gun safe from walmart or k-mart to store my stuff. I thing the brand is stack on. double cylinder locks on it. keeps it all safe. wow just looked at cabelas for link. my $100 dollar cainet that i purchased a "few" years back is on sale for $219
heres one at dicks similar to mine

http://www.dickssportinggoods....1887.1852200.3410544

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used Hazmat cabinets are good if you can find one.

Powder storage at Ft. Richardson Texas more than 100 years ago was in a earth covered bunker.

I would guess if you had a way to store you components in a dry place underground it would protect for the temperature swings also.

Got a back hoe?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do you want to move out of the basement? Seems it may be a little more climate controlled as to temprature and humidity. Look at Saeed's basement.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote