New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 Taylor Pressure data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks for the input--I've been following your range reports on the round closely. Sabot--your logic follows well-looks like a real good way to start.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From shooting and chronographing a couple of different .375 H&H rifles with 260 gr bullets , I'd say 2860 fps out of the smaller .338 case is really , really, optimistic

The H&H case does not get their without pushing the hell out of it , and capacity still does count for something......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger, no disrespect intended, but you might oughta find one of us with a .375 Taylor and head to the range with them. Mine has chrono'd over 2800 (actually, 2833, 2838, 2854, 2830 fps, consecutive shots) with 260g Accubonds and 70.0g AA2520. Not a max load and through a 23 inch Shilen tube. I'm not too sure about those 2900+ reports, but with a 25-26" barrel it may be true. I know, I know the H and H holds more powder and most everyone with one is shooting a 25"+ barrel, but I've seen the numbers myself. Repeatedly. That's why I asked that question about how high you folks are loading the H and H. My hunt load (270g TSX, 70.0g RE-15) is running about 2725 fps and is 2-3 grains less than what others have reported as a max load. I can't explain it, but it's real. I think the factories really missed the boat here, but I doubt that the .375 Taylor will ever make it to the holy land of "factory round". That's OK, I've got mine......

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McKane , in a Winchester H&H I could get the Accubonds/ballistic tips to 2800+........just barely , and I tried RL 15 and all the usual powders......H4350 and H414 were the best in that rifle , with heavy compression .

A Whitworth I have will only reach the 2700+ area (without getting into sticky extraction) with the same powders , although RL15 seems to be the best in that gun .

So you can see why I might think 2800 with the Taylor chamber would be a tad warm.......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote