Find
Notify
Tools

How clean is the 'New' Bullseye?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I've used the 'old' Bullseye in my 45ACP and found it very accurate, but verrry dirty.

The new stuff is supposed to be clean burning, but I haven't tried it yet.

Is it actually CLEAN? Or is it just a little CLEANER. [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I found that by using max loads, the original cleaned up quite a bit. Beyond max even better, but you better know your gun!
No experience with the "new" version.

Newbie warning!
Bullseye is very fast, and occupies little case room small changes in powder make big changes in pressure. The chance of a double charge is great indeed!

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that the highest risk powder is AA#5.
The key in not just the speed of the powder, but the speed- density product. Bullseye is faster than AA#5, but one cannot get enough Bullseye in the case to make pressure trouble with 9mm 115 gr, but one can easily get into trouble with AA#5.

Likewist, HS-6 and 3N37 are also higher risk than Bullseye for the same reason.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Clark
I agree, with the 9mm, but the Bullseye warning is very true for some other larger capacity handgun cartridges, (44 mag for example) and particularly if it is used for reduced loads in rifle cases.

[ 08-30-2003, 03:45: Message edited by: John Y Cannuck ]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatehouse:
I've used the 'old' Bullseye in my 45ACP and found it very accurate, but verrry dirty.

The new stuff is supposed to be clean burning, but I haven't tried it yet.

Is it actually CLEAN? Or is it just a little CLEANER. [Wink]

dont know how "new" you are talking but I have some bullseye that is dated apr 03 lot 8 hundred something and its real dirty.

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Fellas
Define dirty, as it relates to Bullseye or Unique. I've been shooting both for lots of years with cast bullets.
A quick wipe down with what ever I have on hand, swamp out the barrels and cyclinders and the handgun is ready for another six months. This is after 400 or 500 rounds down range. When I was shooting Bullseye matches I would clean the handguns before the season and after, with wipe down after each match.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
It is cleaner than black powder. That's how I define clean and like arkypete, it just doesn't bother me at all.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote