New
Find
Notify
Tools

.348 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shooters: What are you loading in your Model 71 Winchesters? I've got Hornady 200 gr. and some cast gaschecked 235 gr. from Northern Star Cast Bullets. I'd like to hear from others on their favorite loads for this rifle and cartridge.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
The best bullet that I have found for this cartridge is the 220 gr Barnes X. It produces larger and deeper holes than the Hornady and the Barnes Originals. I have not tried the Hawk bullets or cast lead bullets. I have not tried a lot of powders. IMR-4350 seems OK, but H-4831 or H-4895 may be better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harold. Thanks. I loaded some up with IMR 4895, but after setting up, the chrono wouldn't work...too cold and gray, and the wind would flutter the skyscreens making whacky readings without even shooting. I popped off a few factory loads anyway just for fun. I'll wait for a better day. Thanks again.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning 71, rifle, that shoots very well with the Hawk 250 gr .035 jacket fnsp's using H-380 and winchester mag primer. Load expanded alot on a broadside elk at 60 yrds, but maybe would have expanded too much for a rear end shot.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Reloader 19 and Barnes Origial 250 grain FN truly a marrige in heaven in my Win 71

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote