Find
Notify
Tools

Chrono Difficult on 22 Cals
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted
Do others also find it difficult to get Chrono readings from 22 Calibers? Could not get any readings on a Hornet shooting the 35gr V-max, but I have got readings in the past on it. Might have just been the lighting conditions. Chrono did read all other calibers no problem though. Just curious, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Not mine....I set up using a .22LR Kimber with known FPS ammo to be sure everything is OK

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Overcast days better than bright sun, position of screens relative to the sun matters, and maybe the bullet should be just a little closer to the sensors.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using a felt marker, blacken the bullets before firing.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 56 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I think it was a combination, i.e., sunny, and I probably shot too high off the sensors.

Thanks for the tip Arctic, I'm gonna blacken them next time and see how that works.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I made a cardboard roof for mine and cover it up on sunny days

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often use a black felt tip also to get more readings on 17s, and 22s.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
My 20 cal is what can cause difficulties but I shoot as low as I dare (within 4 inches of the scencers)and make sure the shot is centered. I do have a range where I am on my own so taking the time to set up with scope on lowest power so I can see clearly where the shot will travel makes a difference.
Teds tip on using a 22LR to check consistency is a good one and I have a Kimber with a good supply of T22 for that purpose as well.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dom,

I imagine you're shooting at H-Berg R&G Club?

Welcome to the Club; so to speak. Next time you're setting up that Chrony take a gander up at the first safety baffle.

Yeah, I'm sure it plays havoc with the light beacuse I've had the exact same issue but not with just .224's. Especially on Saturday aftenoons in bright sunlight.

bewildered

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Gerry, how'd you guess? Cool

Yupper, in the afternoon. Now that you mention that baffle Roll Eyes

I'm pulling no stops next time, black bullets and gonna make and place a cardboard cover over the top. At least it read the 6.5 and 300, I had already chrono'd 22 a few times so didn't lose much sleep, ha.