Find
Notify
Tools

Primers-opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I am going to start reloading for a 22.250AI soon and I'm going to go all the way on reloading for it. Mic'ing everything, turning necks, tight chamber, premium dies, etc and I'm assembling components now.
One of the variables that I want to take out is primers, so what experience can anyone share on the consistency of CCI Benchrest primers versus Federal match primers? Does it make any difference at all? Should I decide just based on price?

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I work up a load for any of my rifles using std. primers. I then try the same load w/ match primers, mag primers & diff. brands. You'll find some times accuracy improves, sometimes not.

I see you're from Bakersfield, I grew up in Tehachapi, still shoot up their when I visit my Dad.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot every primer out there. Decided I got my best accuracy with Fed 205, 210 and 215's and went to them exclusively and started buying the Match primers at that. I would not look at any other primer now, after years of pin point accuracy using them. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have settled on Federal primers...but others are probably just as good...I used CCI match primers for years and never had a problem with them either....

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I too have settled on Federal primers for, many, many years now. I like the way they seat with my Lee hand priming tool, but I also feel they give me the best accuracy.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My notes indicate my best accuracy has come from Federal primers. Both winchester and CCI's have also done well in many instances.
One thing I did notice is that the standard CCI's didn't consistantly ignite the ball powders I like in the .308. Switching to either Federals or Winchesters solved this problem. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I only use Federal primers. I load a lot of different calibers and it simplifies things to know that red is standard and purple is magnum.
Shayne

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use CCI Br's for almost everything. In magnums I used to use Fed 215M's but I got a dead primer so that entire carton is put aside. I am using up a carton of 215's now in those cartridges.

I don't use ball powder. If I did then I have just about every primer made here in large quantities. There was a primer shortage once so that's why I have so many.

I cut the depth of every primer pocket with a "Whitetail" tool I got from Sinclair. Now I am seating almost all primers with a Lee tool in the press.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The great majority of my most accurate loads have been with the use of Federal primers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to use the BR-2's, but I got some misfires. I switched to 210M's and haven't looked back. I use the 210M's with everything. I found that I got better accuracy with them rather than the 215M's even with my 338.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote