New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM Defeats Hardened Steel Plate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Target: IPSC 3/8" AR-500 hardened steel.
Gun: M70 FWT. 270 WSM
Bullet: 130gr Hornady SST
Powder: 64gr H-4831
Case: WIN
Primer: WINMAG
FPS: 3070 @ 40 F
Group Size .25"
Distance: 110 yds

I was humming along with the load listed above and was getting really excited. I could see only a small silver dot on the plate and thought, "I've got the perfect load" I fire the 6th round and I don't hear a thing. I didn't know what to think, 5 shots right on top of each other, then a flyer missing the plate completely?

I trot down to the plate and discover a .5" hole in the plate right where I was hitting. Through the scope, I just thought a big paint chip came off. After I got over being pissed about putting a hole in my plate, I realized that 6th shot wasn't a flyer, it went right through that hole! (Jagged hole at top, not square bolt hole at bottom of pic)

I guess 5 repetitive shots at the same point on the plate was pretty devastating. I've never had this happen before, then again, I have never had 5 shots land pretty much exactly on top of each other like this.

I think I'll keep that load and rifle. I have to think of a nickname for this new gun!

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
That's the oddest looking piece of armor I've seen in a while.

The WSM's do go through it tho'

Here's what 1 shot of the .300 did (compares well with the 30-06 AP round).

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that hardened steel? At what distance? What bullets on the 300 WSM?

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
So tell me...

Do you guys BBQ those steel plates or just dip 'em in flour and fry them?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use steel plates because I shoot on wide open farm ground and don't have a natural backstop. Plus, all you need is a can of spray paint, and you can make whatever size target you want, in any color.