Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? Should I crimp a 168 gr. Matchking
 Login/Join

posted
I have started loading some 168 gr. matchking bullets for a 308. This is my first experiance with loading rifle bullets. My gun shoots real well with the Fed. 168 gold medal match. I was wondering is this bullet crimped at the factory and should I crimp the loads I am putting together? Thanks for your help. Jeff I am using Fed cases Fed primers and imr 4064.

Posts: 5 | Location: Naples Fla. | Registered: 25 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem308

Attempting to crimp a bullet without a crimp groove only damages the bullet and wears out your arm. Neither is a recommended proces.

I reload both the 168 and 190 MatchKings in a 308 and do not crimp. This has worked for me in both a Rem 700 and M-14 match rifle. I have never had any problem with bullets moving in the cases under recoil.

Just my experience, yours may vary.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Rem308,

Jeff has hit the nail right on the button. There are some good reasons to crimp a bullet. There are also some very good reasons not to crimp. If you were using a semiauto or a pump action rifle, then a crimp might be a good idea. If you were having ignition problems, here again, a crimp might help. Then it would be a good idea to change bullets to one with a cannelure. If your rifle is a bolt action, I don't think a crimp would be necessary. I doubt if you'll have ignition problems with 4064.

There are three types of crimp. The star, roll and taper. The star crimp is used by factories on ammo. The roll crimp is most common on revolver ammo such as the .38 Spec. and .30-30. The taper crimp is used on pistol ammo such as the .45 ACP. The taper crimp is sometimes used by target shooters in military type matches. If you want to crimp a matchking bullet, a light taper crimp would be the best way to go. Good luck. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
NO

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem308-

Since you're asking about Sierra MatchKings, I'm figuring that you're looking for top accuracy. A crimp will definitely NOT help in that hunt.

4064 is a great powder for that combination. If you find for some reason that it doesn't shoot well, try Varget or Win 748 as well.

Good luck!

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
I'm shooting up factory ammo to have some brass to reload and purchasing a couple thousand LC cases, in addition. I'm shooting this ammo in an AR-10T.
I've experience a plenty with revolvers, 45 autos, lever actions and bolt guns. Absolutely zip, nada, with semi autos! I thought that I'd use the Sierra 155gr Palma or the 168 gr MK, with IMR 4064 or IMR 4895, maybe check out one of the ball powders. Heck the options are unlimited.
With my revolvers and 45-70, I polished down the neck expander to,... one smooth the expander and two... reduce the diameter to make for a tighter fit. Which, with a crimp makes for a very tight grip on the straight walled cases.
My question would this same process work with the 308? Reduce the diameter of the neck expander to increase grip on the bullet.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While Lake City is my favorite for the 308, I sure hope that you're getting either virgin or once fired brass. In a gas gun you will get 2-3 reloads before you need to worry about head separations. I used to shoot 3,000+ rounds a year in an M-14 match rifle. Using M-118 Special Ball, M-852 Match and my own reloads. Half of the shooting was slow fire, single loading. The rest was rapid fire and I never experienced a problem will bullets being too loose. Just full length resized on reloads and never had a problem using un-modified RCBS dies. If you load too hot, your cases will fail sooner. In a bolt gun warm loads are good for 10-20 loadings before warning signs of fatigue appear.

I still do not believe that the AR-10 would require any other special treatment for your ammo.

Just an opinion.

Be careful and be safe.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Do not crimp a SMK.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote