New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Whelen experience?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all, I have a general question to pose to you all. I have a semi-finished custom stock for a Ruger Number One on my hands. This is a long term project for me, and I have been looking for 2 years for the perfect cartridge to chamber it for. I have found a little info about the 375 Whelen (375-06), but was wondering if anyone on here had any experince with this cartridge. Any advantage over a 35 Whelen? Powder capacity problems? Looking at using Pac-Nor barrels.Is it even worth the trouble? Thanks for any input.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't claim any experience with the .375 Whelen, but the old time gun writers claimed that it gave headspace problems due to the very short sloping shoulder.

Just something for you to ponder.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj
The 375 Whelen got the bad rap for the 400 Whelen. If the rifle shooting the 375 Whelen has problems with head space then the gunsmith doing the chambering should limit himself to making holes in bread loaves for beef Wellington.
I've got a 375 Whelen on a Mark X action, shot it a bunch. I've never had a jacketed bullet through it since hard cast bullets will do just as well and cast bullets are more fun.
This week, lord willing I'm buying a Winchester 1895 in 30-06 and will, eventually, have it converted to 375 Whelen.
I use the loading data for the 35 Whelen with the same bullet weight as a starting point. The 375 with a 300 grain cast NEI bullet is down right awsum.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Or you could go with the 375 Hawk and get more case capacity and a larger sholder.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote