Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon Powder Measure
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dillon Powder Measure - Two Topics

Have been using all the various Dillon machines since the 450 model came out. Currently using a half dozen 550s, a couple of 650s, and a 1050 for loading umtpeen different cartridges for umpteen different rifles. Need help with two issues concerning the powder measure.

1. Any way to get extruded powders (e.g., H4831SC) to flow through with less than plus or minus a whole grain variation. Just weighed forty consecutive charges thrown with the Dillon and got a standard deviation of 0.500 grains of powder. (Get a third less variation with the Harrelson Precision.)

2. Anyone know of a device to add to the Dillon powder measure to make repeatable settings possible. Some sort of micrometer like the Redding, RCBS, or Harrelson powder measures have.

The Dillons are great. Just need a little help on the powder measure.

I do know about the adapter kits for mounting other powder measures on it.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do a search on ebay for dillon theres a guy selling a add on adjustment screw like what your looking for.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lloyd,

Thanks for the tip. Have already checked their website and have ordered one of the MRDials.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile, but I remember On the AR-15 reloading forum that someone was knocking the sharp edge off the inside of the powder die with a reamer and then polishing it. I want to say it was member named Bluedevil(I'm not really sure though). It allowed the use of some stick powders and I thought a bit more consistency. Don't hold me to this(my mind is taking frequent field trips without me these days),good luck.
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

I think the adapter to use the Harrel or others is the best bet, just slower. The consistancy problem doesn't lie in the adjuster, just the way it fills the powder chamber. There is the problem of knowing where to go back to for a certain charge weight but, the consistant settling of stick powder simply works best with longer drop tubes and vertical chambers.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dial may make it easier to adjust but won't make it more accurate. This is the battle I am having also. For pistol loads I have been using Lee disk measures on my 550 and I may try to fit the Lee measure for rifle. The Dillon is all over the place with stick powder. Either that or only use ball powder??

<brandx>
posted
A number of Palma & other long range types are setting their Dillon 550's up for precision ammo like this: www.askfirst.com/prometheus/photos
Another option is to weigh charges offline and dump into the AT500 charge die but it's a lot slower that way and you still have the 'weighing' issue to contend with.