New
Find
Notify
Tools

wildcat tools?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Friends I don't know anything about reloading so help me learn a little bit here.

I have seen a lot of people are building or rechambering for the 375 Ruger and others from the same case like a 416 Ruger.

When one makes a wild cat and other reloaders make a similar cartridge like the 416 Ruger does the people that make the tools to make this cartridge like reamers and such. Do they have the tools made to the same spec's or are each one a little different than the other?

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
actually, there is no factory 416 Ruger that I am aware of. Back in the old days people were a little more creative. They would figure out what they wanted to do with a cartridge that they could not get from a factory. It's how Weatherby started. They figured out what existing cartridge could be reformed into their dream case, and had a gunsmith order or make a reamer. A two reamer set has one a couple thousandths smaller dimensions, and that is called a "roughing" reamer. The bigger one is called a "finishing" or "chambering" reamer. The chambering reamer cuts the chamber, and the seating die, neck expander die as well if you plan to shoot a lot of cast and the file and trim die. The F&T die is exactly the case length. When you stick a case in the shell holder and run it in the F&T die, after the FL sizer, any excess length sticks out of the top. You run a file across it and finish with the chamfering tool inside and out. The roughing reamer cuts the initial chamber and the FL sizing die.

You probably already know this or most of it, but it is worth repeating. The issue with copying a factory cartridge is obtaining the SAAMI specs. You almost have to have factory ammunition and a couple of fired cases to work from. That is why people doing a 416 Ruger are (IMHO)assuming that shares everything with the 375R except neck OD. They may be right, but they might also end up with a true wildcat. Nobody here even knows if Ruger will indeed come out with any other calibers based on the full length case. The 416R is speculation at this point.

I admire your' willingness to admit that you are the only one here who does not "know it all", and ask questions.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich
Thank you for taking all that time to explain things to me. That was very kind of you.
I want to learn how to reload but nobody I know does know how that lives close to me. Heck I don't know what I need yet to do it.

Thanks again
Steve

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, get yourself a reloading manual from one of the leading bullet manufacturers. Sierra, Nosler, Speer, Hornady etc. Read the "introduction to metallic cartridge reloading" section from start to finish. Twice.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will do it that.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You might want to try this book. http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.aspx?productid=PB%2001779

The ABC`s of Reloading, Lyman #48, or one of the bullet manufactures manuals are also excellent choices. Your local library should also be able to steer you to instruction.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote