New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many cartridges actually burn all of their available powder before the bullet leaves the barrel? What barrel length is required for any given cartridge to accomplish this?

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oddball, muzzle flash is not an indication of unburned powder for the most part. I don't know if that helps or not. Your question is a bit broad for a concise answer, at least to me. What's bugging you, or put another way, what is your goal?

Some powders burn cleaner than others, and in my opinion the flake powders are most likely to leave unburned particles of powder littering your barrel and the general neighborhood. I think this is more of a reflection of pressure(or lack thereof) than barrel length.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

How many cartridges actually burn all of their available powder before the bullet leaves the barrel? What barrel length is required for any given cartridge to accomplish this?

Well, for example, the .22 LR HV load attains its max possible velocity in 18 inches, and is slowed down by barrel friction in barrels longer than this. And, the 6.5X50 Arisaka had little or no muzzle flash at all in a 31" tube, but this was also a phenomenon associated with the powder the Japanese had developed......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oddball, as Dan mentioned, your question is a little broad.

It doesn't depend so much on the "cartridge" per say, as it does on the barrel length and the powder and the cartridge as a unit. There is no correct answer to your question unless you actually specify a specific cartridge and give your barrel length, then we could probably find a powder that would burn efficiently in that length of barrel.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another chip in the pot is that a light load or reduced load relative to the case size will burn much slower and less efficiently than a load that more nearly fills the case.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote