New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a better load for my 686.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am running 3.7 gr of HP38 and 150 gr SWC lead bullets thru a S&W 686 revolver. The powder seems rather dirty and the accuracy is suboptimal. The lead is on the hard side and well lubricated. Both regular and magnum pistol primers have been used as have both .38 and .357 brass.

I don't mind experimenting with loads but in an effort to avoid having several cans of various powders I am looking for advice. Could anyone suggest a cleaner powder and a load that I try?

Thank you.

Ken.

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The powder is probably "clean". It's most often the bullet lube on cast bullets that is "dirty" with such loads in revolvers. Might try upping the charge to 4 gr in .38 SPL cases and 4.5 gr in .357 cases.

You can try 231, Tight group, etc. but with cast bullets they'll all be "dirty".

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique works for me. Larry correct--lube matters too.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your throats and size accordingly. For target/practice I use W231 in about everything, for serious I use WC820/H110.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP-38 usually burns quite well at lower pressures but, your rather low powder charge weight may be causing some of your problem. This is particularly the case where you are using 357 brass.

So many guns so little time.

Posts: 70 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I got tired of all the dirt from lead and lubes and started shotin zero brand jacketed hp bullets My 686 4" likes imr4227 15.5grs over a 158gr zero bullet and a mag primer I found it to be a very accutate load at 0 to 75 yrds and around 1200f/s velocity.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Orange Magic Premium Bullet Lube is more for rifles than handguns, and if filling one lube ring rather than two would help, or create a new problem.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
You can use it on either.
There only claim is less leading and higher velocities.
Thats what you get with all lubes.
I have use it and could not determine if there was any gain.
DAve

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks.

Ken.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's a powder problem so much as a bullet problem. Hard bullets & fast powders rarely give great results. Plus I find W231 & lead quite smokey. If you want clean target loads, go to a softer bullet, 0.001" larger than groove dai or cyl throat dia & go to WST. None of my reolvers see a jacketed bullet anymore. Nothing they will do that a good lead bullet won't do & cheaper.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote