New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rediced 8mm mag loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to Namibia in June and need to work up some practice loads for my 8mm mag. I will be using 220 gr. Sierra boattails and want something in the 2000 to 2200 fps to use for practie. In Namibia, I will shooting either 200 or 220 gr. Swift A-Frames, but don't want to use these until it becomes time to get serious. Thanks in advance. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an old Speer manual that listed reduced load loads for many catridges including my 8 mm mag. Somehow it has disappeared and I am in a quandry as to what to do. Yes ,I know I can contact Speer again, but I would prefer data from real experiences. Thanks in advance for any advice. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 13th edition of speer lists a reduced load for the 200 gr, but the don't list a 220 gr load. Starting load for 200 gr using IMR 4198 is 32 gr to a max of 36 gr.You may have to do a little calculating to get a load for the 220. They increase the charge as the bullet gets larger by a couple grs. HTH

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry I shoot a 8MM Mag regularly. I'd suggest you practice with what you are going to hunt with. Several things will happen if you don't. One your POI is going to change along with your zero. If you can't take the full house loads in practice you are not going to do well with them hunting either is my opinion. RL22 and RL25 are awesome 8MM Mag powders. My 220 gr velocity is 3006 fps. I can get it up to 3056 but the accuracy starts falling off. Oh that's out of a 24" barrel.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.Th e reason I wanted reduced loads to practice with is the 8mm in a 700 Classic used to kick the snot out of me. I have installed a Simms recoil pad and expect that may take some of the sting out of shooting. Last year before going to RSA, I shot so much centerfire that I deveoped a flinch and that cost me the biggest impala I will probably ever see. Right now I am practicing with a .22 and trying to get my old shooting form back. I was hoping that shooting reduced loads would help me with the fundamentals of breath control and trigger squeeze without the flinch rearing it's ugly head again.49 more weeks and it's off to Namibia. Thanks for the replies. Jerry Hoover

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry the flinch is one of the things I was eluding too. I would suggest one of two things either get a brake put on you 8MM Mag or step down. The other option is don’t shoot it so much. Say maybe five rounds a session and use a smaller gun as currently are. But I suspect that the flinch may return. All the practice you can stand won’t help if the gun is intimidating you.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Try using 25 grs of Unique with dacron filler to hold the powder in the lower portion of the case and load with any 150-175 grain bullet. They will also help to fire form the cases to your rifle.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. I plan on continuing practicing with the.22 Then shoot some reduced loads in the 8mm mag. If that doesn't work, then I may enlist the help of friends and do the old "Maybe the rifle is loaded or maybe not?'and fire a round. I can always go back to my old 30/06 if the 8mm is too much. Jerry Hoover

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder "Mr. Blue Dot" aka Seafire has not yet made a recommendation for a reduced load based on Blue Dot. I tried them for several calibers including the .338 WM and the 9.3x74 R and have become a believer.

Vihta N110 is also a very good powder for these applications.

You can make a first and rough calculation of pressure and performance with Quick Load.

Personally, I`d use regular 150 or 170 grain SP bullets for this application. They should do, even for hunting smaller game.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote