New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 -reloading problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any pointers on what I´m doing wrong when I reload my 9.3:s? I use Lyman 2 die reloading set. If i adjust the shellholder up to the calibrating die the shoulder seems to be "pushed down". I then tried leaving a spase between the shellholder and the die which kept the shoulder in place but made the neck look like a coke bottle! And I´ve had som serious casestretching...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m not sure I understand your "coke bottle" effect on the necks. If the die is leaving a "step" where the sizing stops , that`s normal and won`t hurt anything.
I would set up my sizer useing a magic marker or sooting the shoulder with a candle and screwing the die down until it just starts to scrap the soot / ink from the shoulder. This will minimum FL size your cases and should help the case stretch problem some.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Anyone have any pointers on what I´m doing wrong when I reload my 9.3:s? I use Lyman 2 die reloading set. If i adjust the shellholder up to the calibrating die the shoulder seems to be "pushed down". I then tried leaving a spase between the shellholder and the die which kept the shoulder in place but made the neck look like a coke bottle! And I´ve had som serious casestretching...

Brass lasts longer the less it is worked. If your empty cases were all fired in your rifle, there is no need, indeed it is not desireable, to completely full-length resize the cases every time you refill em! just size enough of the neck to adequately grip the new bullets when you seat them. Yes, the necks may look a little like a coke bottle when you size them this way, but so what? If they hold the bullet firmly, that's all you need, and the brass will last longer.

If it turns out that you absolutely have to completely full-length size them every time, by all means adjust your die like Ol' Joe says, so you don't set the sholuders back any when sizing! If you do set the shoulders back, at the very least you will soon experience incipient case-head separation!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this in anyway caliber specific? I use Hornaday dies for 6.5x55 and RCBS for .375 H&H and I´ve never had any problems. Some similar things happened in 30-06 with Hornaday dies but that turned out to be due to faulty dies.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote