Find
Notify
Tools

Military Crimps
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted
Is there anything more annoying when you're reloading .45's and 38 spl's than finding those stinking crimped primer pockets as your feeding the progressive? I'm getting down there on my clean brass so I've been loading up some of my once fired brass I've bought over the years...seemed like I must have been extra unlucky today because out of 300 rounds I got at least 20 crimped rounds....everything chugging along great and then the primer doesn't feel right...sure enough not going. Ugh! Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some folks think loading with a progressive means they can turn off their brain. It costs you little time to look at what you are doing.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shot an ipsc match and came home with a few small primer pocket .45 acp cases mixed in with my brass (same headstamp)

One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
This works for me with crimps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhw6Yf-vbdk

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I guess I've reloaded a couple of tons of GI brass with the primer crimps and never thought of it as a great challenge nor inconvience. When you consider some of the bizarre and anal things that folks do and call it brass prep, trimming out a tiny flange of brass is a simple process.
I do it while I'm wathcing TV. I use the little primer pocket reamer (by lyman, I think) and I put a bowl of brass that needs reaming in my lap and an empty bowl to the side and go at it. I doubt that it's surprising to anyone just how much "down" time there is during a football game or a program.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm the only one that feels that way...to me all the crimped brass is just a headache. I can't see a scenario where a crimped primer would be necessary in a 38 spl or 45...

It's not so much a "challenge" it's an inconvenience to me, when I start cycling the press I don't like a stoppage like a primer crimp distracting me from what I'm doing. You get in a rhythm and you're doing very repetitive movements...sure a crimp only delays you a little but it throws off your stations, you end up with a flag from the missing case on your powder cop die, it just messes with you.

I don't think many progressive users are much different, I also don't believe it means we turn off our brains either but if saying it makes you feel good have at it. moon