Tools

Brass Cleaning Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I am going to switch from vibratory.

Question:
Which is the way to go...SS pin media in tumbler or ultrasonic?

After voting...please comment on the specific tumbler or U/S machine you would get. Thanks in advance!

Choices:
Ultrasonic.
SS media in Tumbler.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS sidewinder tumbler.

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I'll stay with my "Thumbler's Tumbler". It holds a lot of brass, cleans it fast, it's quiet, and it has worked for the last thirty-five years trouble free. If I ever need a new tumbler I will just get the next size up.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Harbor Freight's Ultrasonic Cleaner. I gave my BNIB vibrating brass cleaner to my buddy David.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
seeing how I used a midway vibrating tumbler (Frankfort Arsenal_)for about 30 years before it wore out....... and they replaced it FREE under lifetime warranty, I'll stick with it!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
posted 21 October 2013 19:48 Hide Post
seeing how I used a midway vibrating tumbler (Frankfort Arsenal_)for about 30 years before it wore out....... and they replaced it FREE under lifetime warranty, I'll stick with it!

i also use the MIDWAY VIBRATING BRAND.. 20 years now.. still going

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use stainless steel pins in a Thumler's Tumbler. It gets the cases VERY clean without leaving any lube or other residue on or even in the cases. For those compulsive folks who like clean primer pockets; well it gets them pristinely clean also.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'm a user of the Thumbler's Tumbler with SS media, too.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:

+1 and no more cleaning primer pockets sold me Cool

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that I just don't clean brass that much anymore.......

Wipe it off whie inspecting and then load it up.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I like the concept of stainless but I voted ultrasonic, I have good luck with it.

Stainless is chewing on the brass and weakening it by my thoughts.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've been using SS for about a year and I sure can't find anything wrong with that method. The old media is a joke compared to the SS method so far.

My tumbler was given to me years ago when everyone wanted to switch to the vibratory style so it's so old I can't read the brand.

My guess is that it was made originally for polishing rocks.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I have been using walnut media for more than 35 years and it has always worked well. If you need to get rid of the dust you can rinse the media in a sieve and then dry it. there are all kinds of additives that I don't use because I don't need them. I like to keep things simple and cleaning brass in a liquid - with or without steel pins - just adds to the complexity and has no value to me. The tumbler I use was made to polish rocks - it is as tough as nails and I have never had trouble with it. I have a vibratory cleaner that I use when I don't need to be in a hurry and I am not going to have to listen to it. Neither of my cleaners will see a liquid bath media - it isn't necessary and it complicates the process.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
quote:

+1 and no more cleaning primer pockets sold me Cool

This! tu2

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too. By far the best I've found. I use Dawn detergent & Lemishine & water to clean, then rinse. I decap them first with a Lee decaping tool & it cleans out the primer pocket. I always decap with rifle rounds, depends on my mood with pistol rounds.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe from So. Cal.
posted Hide Post
Thumbler's Tumbler with SS media.

I've used both. Walnut media cleans but doesn't really shine unless rouge is used. Then I need to tumble again to get the rouge off.

The SS media makes horrible looking, sun bleached brass look brand new in about an hour. Make that truly brand new. Squeaky clean with no residue. Use the recommended amount of lemme shine, not too much.

Drawbacks are higher intial cash outlay, but that goes away quickly. Also requires some finesse so you don't lose it when you rinse. I developed a system so it's easy now. Rinse in a large, square plastic pail in the sink and use a deep fry basket from a thrift store to separate media from brass. Also, I decap so the media cleans the primer pockets.

IMO, nothing cleans better.

Posts: 7725 | Location: Peoples Republic Of California | Registered: 13 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something to keep from losing stainless steel pins. I have two bar magnets. One to catch those that get out of my rinse pan and another to get the ones I drop on the carpet when I'm sorting brass in front of the TV. Smiler

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Funny how times and I change. Wink

For 20 years I never cleaned my brass and it worked fine. Then I got into cleaning because of the press I read. Ended up 38 years ago with a Thumler's Tumbler, and used several different kinds of media...corn cobs, walnut hulls, steel pins, and with and without liquids added. Also tried just plain liquids in the Thumler.

They all worked fine.

And TIME PASSED as it seems to have a habit of doing. Added three Midway vibratory tumblers and one of the humongous Dillon's to my stable. Love the Dillon, as I can do a LOT of brass with it.

But, about 10 years go, I said the heck with them all. I still HAVE them all, but I haven't used any of them much since then for anything except cleaning range pick-up brass so I can inspect it better.

(And yes, I can hear the cries even out here in the AZ desert..."You use range pick-up brass?!! I would never let any of that stuff near MY precious guns!!!"

Well, yes I have used it for over 50 years, and have even bought some guns just because I have so much of it...like over three bushels of '06 brass, almost two bushels of .257 Roberts brass, and God only knows how much .223, .30-30 and .308 brass.)

Whatever tumbler or media you choose will likely serve you well. Buy whatever you think will be easiest for you to both afford and use, and you'll be happy with it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I am not the only one that picks up range brass. Most of it still looks new, been once fired, and reloads just fine. It all goes through the same prep as new brass and separated for weight / volume. I still tumble my brass with walnut - I get it at the "local" feed and grain store for about 1/10 the cost at the gun store.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I pick up every single piece of CF brasss I find

It's like picking up quarters

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thumblers Tumbler. I have an old rock tumbler that I used to use with corncob media and an old vibratory machine.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am addicted to scrounging brass. The first twenty minutes at range is brass pickup.

I use a po boy SS pin rig. Bought cheap Harbor Freight tumbler, a two pound refresher pack of pins, and that about right. I am sure there are better rigs but I am happy with what I got.

Posts: 6 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 15 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Sonic cleaned or shot tumbled? Whatever gets you through the day. It's interesting that it's a big deal to some people that their brass has to be perfectly shinny.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use range brass!

I would like to thank all those unknown shooters who have contributed to my passion!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcinnb:
I am addicted to scrounging brass. The first twenty minutes at range is brass pickup.

I use a po boy SS pin rig. Bought cheap Harbor Freight tumbler, a two pound refresher pack of pins, and that about right. I am sure there are better rigs but I am happy with what I got.

Where did you buy the 2 lb pack of SS pins?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I use range brass!

I would like to thank all those unknown shooters who have contributed to my passion!

Absolutely!!

Posts: 34 | Location: Magnolia, AR | Registered: 01 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use both methods.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We use both methods.

Hi Saeed,
Could you elaborate on why you use both?

Does each method have some advantages over the other?

I have always used vibratory with walnut hulls and have never been that happy with it. I don't clean all the brass I load by any means but when I do clean it...I would like it to look near new WITH CLEAN PRIMER POCKETS...never have I achieved that in vibratory with hulls.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcinnb:

+1

Every once in a great while I might wash some brass about the only cleaning it gets.

Always thought about getting a tumbler but never had one.

They sure make pretty brass some day I might have to have one. Waited only 50 years or so for one.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
We use both methods.

Hi Saeed,
Could you elaborate on why you use both?

Does each method have some advantages over the other?

I have always used vibratory with walnut hulls and have never been that happy with it. I don't clean all the brass I load by any means but when I do clean it...I would like it to look near new WITH CLEAN PRIMER POCKETS...never have I achieved that in vibratory with hulls.

This is the problem I had with my vibratory tumblers. The best with a vibratory tumbler was with walnut but still doesn't achieve the same level as with my Thumbler with water, about 5 lbs of stainless steel pins, Dawn, and Lemishine. In addition, walnut media was more dusty, even with a 'Snuggle', or equivalent anti-static sheet. The walnut and vibratory tumbler was OK with pistol rounds but I didn't de-prime them before cleaning the brass and on occasion the primer wouldn't seat fully. I had to put those in 'to be pulled box'. I never had a mis-fire but worried about a primer that was sticking out a bit.

Last winter, when I started cleaning and reloading bottleneck rifle rounds, I felt I needed to kick my brass cleaning up a notch, especially the primer pockets.

Re-sizing clean rifle brass is a lot easier and less traumatic on the dies than dirty brass.

I like to look into the brass to see the level of the powder. This too is easier with clean brass.

With pistol rounds, I rarely trimmed cases and had no issues, even with auto-loaders. I've spent the last few months reloading rifle rounds . I had forgotten how fast pistol rounds were in a progressive press. Rifle rounds did step my attention to detail up a couple notches.

I still clean loaded rounds in my vibratory tumbler that are jacketed with corn cob and a teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol to make them look like new and keep them in an airtight container on plastic bag to keep them looking like new.