Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

221 Fireball Die sets
 Login/Join

posted
New here, and need a little info on loading for the 221 fireball. I am about to buy a CZ 527 in 221 fireball and plan to load for it. I have a press and reloading stuff but it is all RCBS brand. I just went to the RCBS site and found NO reference to a die set for this caliber.

What options do I have. I have seen folks discussing reloading this caliber, and in fact, if one wants to shoot much of this, reloading is pretty much a must. Hate the idea of shooting factory... even for other rifle calibers.

Do I need to completely change press set up to find a press that will hold dies for this caliber?

Thanks, for any help.... I am not experienced in recent times with loading. Did a lot of it back in the 80's and 90's for 243 and 7mm08.

LongPlay

Posts: 12 | Location: Deep East Texas | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Redding #84101, shellholder #10

3 die set.

no reason it wont work in RCBS, I use it a lee press.

You will really like hunting bobcats with the fireball, a real fur frienldy round.

Also, even though I enjoyed making some reloads, I actually hunted with remington factory ammo. Seems I tended to shoot up all my reloads at the range. It was pretty darn accurate.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Blacklands... I am especially interested in fur friendly rounds. I do not really plan to use it for that purpose, but as a squirrel shooter, I have always wanted to down load the centerfire 22 caliber to around 22Mag velocity.

I tried it with the 222 Remington but it did not work due to the twist being too slow to work on the 55gr FMJ bullets at low speeds.

Posts: 12 | Location: Deep East Texas | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Hornady also make dies for this caliber. I like their sleeved bullet seater.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Might consider researching Lead Cast bullet loads !

posted Hide Post
Thanks all!! Thanks also for the link to RCBS. My initial search did not show any 221 Fireball die sets. Lots of other calibers though... good to know. I will push forward and get the rifle for sure. I will be able to reload for it, and use it for several things here.

I am going to do some testing on some of the bullets in the 45gr and 50 gr size in match bullets. From what I read in the bullet maker's write ups, they give the impression that the bullet will NOT expand at all. That is what I am wanting for a squirrel load, something similar in construction to the Winchester 40 gr FMJ bullets in 22Mag. They do a simple pass through on squirrels, but hydraulic shock is more than adequate to make clean kills on every one I have ever shot.

I also saw where Barnes HAD a solid copper/bronze/brass kind of bullet in the .223 size. But from what I can see, they are all off the market. Reading back a few years of posts searching the 221 Fireball, I saw some mention of this bullet, and it seems it may now be illegal? Probably illegal to hunt with here from what I can read. But Texas is usually pretty lenient on the rules, so I am still on a search for the info on that topic. That bullet would make a clean pass through without tearing the whole head of the squirrel off.

I am certainly going to get some of the 40 gr high expansion loads made up for the crow population here which is extreme for sure. Should burn a fair bit of powder shooting them for sure.

Thanks for the help here. I can imagine the caliber is very accurate, quiet, and a pleasure to shoot from all the discussions on the net I have found. It is just a wonder to me that it is not more popular in the rifle category than it is.

LongPlay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longplay: I have a set of RCBS dies in .221 Fireball if you are interested. I bought the dies when I had an XP-100, but had the pistol rechambered for .223, I don't think the dies were ever used. PM me if you are interested.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2826 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone's standard dies threaded 7/8"x14 will work in anyone's standard press.

I happen to have a set of Lyman dies for my .221's, but mostly use a Lee .222 Collet die which I have modified (shortened) to use for neck sizing .221 cases.

If I owned a CZ with the backward operating safety I would make a point NEVER to place the safety in the "safe" position and always treat the gun as if it does not have a safety (don't chamber until you are ready to shoot, or keep the bolt handle raised on a chambered cartridge). If you attempt to use the safety, sooner or later you will instictively use it in the manner that 100% of the safeties on all of the world's other rifles operate, which could get you into trouble you don't even want to think about.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Safety is in the MIND of the shooter, not some mechanical device.

Make it a point to consider the gun loaded at ALL times, keep you finger OFF of the trigger UNTIL you are on target and ready to shoot and keep the bolt OPEN or OUT of the rifle when not lined up on a target.

I take the safety's OFF many of my rifles, that way there is NO QUESTION as to whether the safety actually is on or off...IT IS OFF ALL THE TIME...and NO, I DON'T lend any of my rifles. That way there isn't any problems of ANY kind. When I sell or trade I put the safeties back.

ANY FMJ bullet will work for fur, you don't have to buy expensive bullets. but you still need to load down...

I bought an XP-100, 221 FB, 10" when they first came out, back in the early 60's...got stupid one day and traded for a Win 94 30-30...wish I had it back. It is a very good cartridge when used within it's capabilities.

Luck

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Anyone's standard dies threaded 7/8"x14 will work in anyone's standard press.

I happen to have a set of Lyman dies for my .221's, but mostly use a Lee .222 Collet die which I have modified (shortened) to use for neck sizing .221 cases.

If I owned a CZ with the backward operating safety I would make a point NEVER to place the safety in the "safe" position and always treat the gun as if it does not have a safety (don't chamber until you are ready to shoot, or keep the bolt handle raised on a chambered cartridge). If you attempt to use the safety, sooner or later you will instictively use it in the manner that 100% of the safeties on all of the world's other rifles operate, which could get you into trouble you don't even want to think about.

Yeah, it takes getting used to that's for sure. But since this would be my 7th CZ, I doubt I would make that error.

I never do the safety thing without looking down at it anyway. Old habit from a very old rifle I shot when I was a teenager. If you had it cocked and ready to fire and put it on safety, when you took it off it would shoot!!! I finally took the firing pin out of it and put it in the back of the closet... Now one day, the Ex wife may find it... hope she finds the firing pin too!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
Safety is in the MIND of the shooter, not some mechanical device.

Make it a point to consider the gun loaded at ALL times, keep you finger OFF of the trigger UNTIL you are on target and ready to shoot and keep the bolt OPEN or OUT of the rifle when not lined up on a target.

I take the safety's OFF many of my rifles, that way there is NO QUESTION as to whether the safety actually is on or off...IT IS OFF ALL THE TIME...and NO, I DON'T lend any of my rifles. That way there isn't any problems of ANY kind. When I sell or trade I put the safeties back.

ANY FMJ bullet will work for fur, you don't have to buy expensive bullets. but you still need to load down...

I bought an XP-100, 221 FB, 10" when they first came out, back in the early 60's...got stupid one day and traded for a Win 94 30-30...wish I had it back. It is a very good cartridge when used within it's capabilities.

Luck

OK, that is a point I would like to explore...
Just how many kinds of FMJ's can one find? All I ever saw when reloading (or trying to reload!) my 222 Remington, were 55 grain variety. With the 1 in 14 twist, it was downright dangerous to shoot in the 2200 to 2400 f/s range. Bullets sprayed all over the course of fire at the range, some landing as close as 25feet or so from the bench with a real thud kicking up a lot of dirt/sand. Scared the hooky out of me.

The ones I loaded more normally upwards of 2700 or so, shot really well. But I was a bit worried what that speed passing through a squirrel head would do. I tested it on an orange and an apple and there was only juice left.

A 40gr or 45 grain bullet in FMJ would be perfect for that 222 Remington. I have temporarily given that rifle to my nephew for some deer hunting in the swamp in Louisiana. He could not shoot much past 75 yds or so cause a person could not see a school bus if it was farther than that in those woods.. And he is a very good shot, and a head only shooter like I am...

Any ideas... lighter FMJ's... say it is so!! I am all ears... (Well mostly ears! I have a big mouth too sometimes I am told !)

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 40 grain FMJ's made for .22 WMR ammunition might make great squirrel loads, but I don't know where you can get any of them for reloading purposes.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The lighter the bullet, the more easily it MIGHT expand, is my immediate reaction. Though I hate casting .22 bullets, I think for your use I might try the suggestion given earlier...casting some very hard unjacketed lead bullets.

I'd start out using either wheelweight metal, heat-treated after casting, or linotype metal with no heat-treating required. I'd also use a moderatly heavy bullet such as a 60+ grain one or even a 70+ grain one as they seem to cast better, with less work on your part....maybe because their mass conveys more heat to the mould and keeps it from cooling to the point of casting wrinkled bullets.

You can always shoot them more slowly (low velociTies) than light ones, to minimize both their maximum range and potential leading problems.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would not expect to get the FMJ bullets used in the Winchester or CCI versions of these loads in the 22mag rimfire cartridges. I am looking at Speers, Hornady, Sierra bullet selections. From all I can gather in info, the only FMJ projectiles available are 55 grains.

Looks like the consensus is that if I use the CZ in 221 Fireball, I get the 1 in 12" twist and should be just fine with these 55 grain bullets. In fact it is easier to keep that heavier bullet slower and more like what I want than trying to download a 40 grain bullet to the lower velocity levels.

Bad experience with the 222Rem./heavy bullets/slow velocity-light loads, is what made me nervous. But the twist rate is so much different that it makes me cringe. Hoping for the best with this combo in the 221 Fireball.

As I suspected when I joined here... Lots of great first hand experience here and lots of folks willing to take the time to pass on this experience with us that are less experienced...
Thanks to all that take the time. I am absorbing this at a feverish pace and reading back on all the older posts as much as I can!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Redding Type "S" full length sizer and a Forster Ultra seater for my .221 FB rifles. They work well together and produce very accurate rounds.

You might want to find out where your barrel lands start though. Both of my CZ 527 FBs chambers needed to be seated out beyond the factory OAL for their best accuracy. They still feed just fine from the factory magazines even seated way out there.

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for that detail info there webfeet... I will do exactly that. I will check on the max OAL with the rifle when it arrives.

I like mine starting just touching the lands anyway, but may not have checked the length needed in the CZ at first opting for just a std OAL... I will make sure to start at the best OAL first!!

posted Hide Post
Try jumping those bullets at about 0.020, that's what my CZ527 221 likes.

Steve