Notify
Tools

Best way to clean a barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clark:
Just how does one get Wipeout into the bore and not all over the place?

Put the gun in a vise (or whatever), with muzzle angled down. Insert bore guide, minus part with "solvent port". Hang rag over muzzle, to keep it from spraying all over the room. Place paper towel between bore guide and stock (to keep any leakage off of the wood). Mash nozzle hard against bore guide. Press the button, hard, until the first foam comes out of the muzzle. Remove can. Catch the expanding foam at both ends, and KEEP IT OFF THE WOOD. Place rag under end of muzzle to catch the Wipe Out as it drains out overnight. Fight back the big S-E grin at the thought of the poor suckers still using brushes and ammonia. Go about your life.

In the morning, run two dry patches through, then an oiled one. Place firearm back into gun safe. Total time involved: three minutes. Bore will be mirror clean.

It may help to do the spraying with the gun tipped over in the vise, to keep the Wipe Out can vertical. A bit of practice, and you'll never use anything else.

Incidentally, I've heard that there are newer foam products out there with the same formulation as Wipe Out, but I have not confirmed this. I do know that there are foam cleaners that ARE NOT the same formula, and don't work very well. Caveat emptor.

Is this stuff the perfect solution? No, it's not. It does take hours to work. Thus, it's not practical at the range. For that, the ammonia formulations will have to suffice. But follow the directions, try it a few times, and you'll be a convert.

Jorge: I don't know if you got a bad batch, or it was discoloring the patches from the jag or an aluminum cleaning rod, or something else. But I've been using it for several years, with zero problems. And I've seen a bore scoped video of my bore, after my three minute cleaning. It was perfect (and the gunsmith was stunned).

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a slightly different note, and I hesitate to bring this up-- do not use a mixture of an acid (like vinegar) and hydrogen peroxide. Bad, bad things will happen-- this combo cleans exceedingly well, but it eats metal through some catalytic reaction. It will pit your bore in hours.

This was discussed to death on rec.guns many years ago (early 90's). The chemists had an explanation, but it was over my head.

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed. But all chemicals we use are not parfume

oldflint, I always though hoppes was perfume!

Posts: 14 | Location: WV | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
HP Shooter, I've been curious about those rods, what do you like specifically.

Thanks--D.

I like the fact that carbon fiber is softer than steel, therefore the rifling ALWAYS erodes the rod if there is contact, instead of the other way around. Also, carbon fiber rods are way more elastic than steel rods, and that means you can bend them a lot more than you can steel and they will spring back into shape, staying perfectly straight after bends that would render steel rods useless.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Well put me in the Wipe-Out-does-not work-as-advertised column. I've yet to use it on any of my rifles and have it work with just one application.

Jorge

I've found that after you clean each gun with Wipe Out the first time, subsequent cleanings take less time. I think that the first time the Wipe Out is getting out things that were left in there from previous cleanings with other products. MHO

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks HP, I've been using mostly BoreTech and I like them, I've just been considering buying one of the Tiptons, I think I'm gonna give one a try.

Regards--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out works for me. Yes, a second or 3rd application may be called for with a really fouled bore, but Wipe Out does the work for you. After a thorough cleaning with Wipe Out I no longer use brushes-I just patch out and use an anti rust like Break Free. Instead of scrubbing the bore with a brush and CR-10 I let Wipe Out sit and do it's thing. From .17 Rem to 458 Lott I use Wipe Out and I'm sold on it. Let IT do the work!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the record I will not use any to the new fiber rods, they are abrasive, and those that are covered with plastic for that reason gather grit, end of story...One piece SS is the rod to use IMO......

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
I like the Barnes Cr-10 & Sweets and Love the Montana X-treme products.
Going to try some of that Wipeout.

Have a Great Day and God Bless

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Wipeout, but it's not a panacea. I've used it for a couple of years now and I've done a little experimenting along the way. I still find that for getting carbon out of the barrel there's no substitute for brushing. Works pretty good on copper, though.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWell looks like I will definally try the over night wipe out treatment and go ahead with a big S-E grin if it works as you say it will!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote