New
Find
Notify
Tools

I know this is stupid but---
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was resizing some primed brass(without the decap pin), because they were tight going in the chamber. One the damn things got stuck in the die.
How do I kill the primer so I can get it out.

Thanks,
Dulcinea

Posts: 711 | Location: York,Pa | Registered: 27 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oil, WD40, fill it half full & let'er sit.
Overnite or longer.
Nothing stupid about safety!

Posts: 46 | Location: Topeka, KS | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oil usually will "kill" primers.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
Suspected this and it is already oiled.

Dulcinea

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
CAUTION!! Killing primers with oil is a myth. Doesn't happen with the modern primers coated with lacquer. Your host here on this site did some tests on this several years back. He tried everything and nothing worked. As I recall, some were submerged longer than a week. You might do a search here, or check other locations on this site for the results of those tests. The test included water, WD-40 and lacquer thinner as I recall.

I think what I would do would be to discharge the primer in a controlled firing. You didn't say what die you were using but if you can pull out the decapping rod as in most dies, you can unscrew the expander ball and knock it back into the die. Then put the die into your press upside down so you can see the primer, making sure the expander doesn't get into the neck of the case. You can put a wad of cotton in there to keep it from stopping up the mouth and then acting as a bullet. Anything to allow the force of the primer to vent. It wouldn't come out too fast anyway. Be sure to have your safety glasses, and gloves would help. Tap the primer with chisel or something similar that can act as a firing pin, discharge it, then proceed to remove the case as you would with no primer. If it's a Hornady die, I'm uncertain what I'd do but something similar to this.

[ 07-16-2003, 05:49: Message edited by: Bob338 ]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I'm stupid too, because I did the exact same thing a month ago... [Roll Eyes] . I oiled the primer too, but didn't trust the oil to kill the primer. Finally, I put the die in the drill press, and CAREFULLY and SLOWLY (to avoid heating the primer) drilled a series of 1/32 holes around the primer seat, and right up against it. I was able to pop out the primer (from the outside) with the tips of two toothpicks...and then used the stuck case remover as per normal. Again, I want to stress that I was VERY careful to drill the holes precisely and slowly to avoid nicking or heating the primer. It worked for me, but I sure wouldn't want to feel responsible for someone losing an eye or a finger. Maybe someone else has a better way...you should get a few responses on this one. We can't be the only two people to have pulled this one... [Wink]

Posts: 5769 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fail to see the problem. You got a case stuck in a sizing die without a decapping pin. You drop the biggest rod you can get down the case mouth in it and tap it out. Your rod goes nowhere near the primer.

And who cares if the primer goes off anyway. You ought be wearing safety glasses and it ain't like this is a loaded cartridge.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
DJ, that primer going off and a little bit of bad luck, and you have a primer cup about 2" deep in your leg. Or a little higher, if you are sitting on a stool...... I'm thinking Darwin Award material.... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about de-priming using the Berdan water method? Fill the case with water. Use a round steel rod which fits the neck opening closely. Whack the rod with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure should pop the primer out.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another way is to put die in press upside
down or in something to hold it, like a vise
or lathe chuck..Slip shellholder
over the rim of case.Use a rod with a point
on it the same diameter as primer hole through the
shellholder and tap with hammer.Acts like a
short barrel gun and fires off safely.I use this
method to fire primers in BMG cases, for removing
them to build wildcat cases.I put cases in lathe chuck, slip on shellholder, and slip in rod with
one hand and tap , and tap it hard.Make rod at least 8 inches long so
its weight in conjunction with shellholder keeps
primer in.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing with my 300RUM. Sent the die back to RCBS and they sent me a new one, no charge. I told them it was my fault and I would pay for it, but they refused. Now that's service. It took a couple of weeks, but I was in no hurry.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think leftover has the answer. Also, why couldn't you put the die in a vice and use a long rod pointed at one end to fire the primer??? Then go the stuck case route?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Well, one thing WD-40 WILL do is kill primers! Plenty fast, you betcha!!

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
IN THE SPIRIT OF HELPING YOU OUT BY ADDING "ANOTHER" "OPTION":

WHY NOT PACK THE DIE UP AND SEND IT TO:

1 - THE DIE MAKER OR

2 - THE PRIMER MAKER OR

3 - SAEED

AND LET THEM FIGURE IT OUT.

JUST TRYING TO BE HELPFUL [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Why not put the die in a vice, don you safety glasses and take potshots at the primer with a low powered .177 air pistol from the other side of the room.

This way you can turn a problem situation into useful range time. [Cool]

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone,
I was away from the puter for a few days, did not know this took on such a life.

Here's how I handled it.
Safety glasses on, wife standing by.
took the neck sizing button off the decap rod and gently threaded the decap pin in, primer neatly comes out and then remove stuck case by normal method.

Again thanks,
Dulcinea

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dulcey:
Did nearby wife get into the act by telling you how to do it, considering she's done many thousands in her life? My mother tells me how to do everything, especially my job, considering she's never driven an 18-wheeler in her life but she can sure tell me how to do it (I've got 5-1/2 years of good OTR time and 650,000+ miles).

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! lots of suggestions....

Accepted safe methods are:

1. Just take the die put it in a vise, pour some Kroil in the die, grab the case with a pair of vise grips or ? and slowly twist back and fourth and work the case out...

2. Best option is use a stuck case extractor from RCBS...

3. saw the end off thereby defusing the primer then use a bit bolt and thread it in and tap it out from the front...

4, If all this is beyond you then send the damn thing to me and I will do it for you... [Big Grin]

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! lots of suggestions....

Accepted safe methods are:

1. Just take the die put it in a vise, pour some Kroil in the die, grab the case with a pair of vise grips or ? and slowly twist back and fourth and work the case out...

2. Best option is use a stuck case extractor from RCBS...

3. saw the end off thereby defusing the primer then use a bit bolt and thread it in and tap it out from the front...

4, If all this is beyond you then send the damn thing to me and I will do it for you... [Big Grin]

BTW the way using the biggest diameter punch to knock it out is fine and if your worried then place a 1" piece of pipe around the bottom of the die to catch the primer shrapnel if it pops, which is won't.. but its a simple safty precaution.

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOps I see you got it...good...

The method you use is a bit risky, albiet I have done it many times...very carefully...It would be a very rare thing for a primer to blow backwards but anything can happen with explosives.

Why don't you purchase a stuck case remover? saves me a lot of grief..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet if you stuck it in the freezer for a few hours, you could pull that case right out. In case it happens again...

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote