Find
Notify
Tools

9MM RELOADING QUESTION
 Login/Join

Picture of lucy11
posted
HELLO,

I'M LOOKING AT THE MODERN RELOADING SECOND EDITION by RICHARD LEE PAGE 507 9MM 115 GRAIN JACKETED BULLET AND I DONT SEE ANY LOAD DATA FOR WIN 231 POWDER...WHY? I WENT TO THE WINCHESTER WEB PAGE AND THEIR DATA SAYS FOR WIN 231 START LOAD IS 4.3 MAX. 4.8. STRANGE IT'S NOT IN THE GUIDE. ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT, AND ARE THE START AND MAX LOADS THAT I MENTIONED OK. I WOULD THINK SO BUT JUST B/C IT'S ON THE WEB DOESNT MAKE IT RIGHT.

THANKS MIKE

one of us
posted Hide Post
There hundreds of powders,bullets primers and casings.

That means millions of combinations missing one powder with one bullet or caliber means just that.

You will find over the years powder, bullet and reloading data changes get left out put in all the time.

One really needs several reloading manuals even then you might not find the data you want.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep What p dog said. tu2 Yes it is a pain when the one combination you want isn't there but anymore there are plenty of places to look.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester quit making powders years ago. Hodgdon took over the rights to make powder with that brand name. Hodgdon HP38 and WW231 I've been told are one in the same. I know the earlier WW231 wasn't has heavily graphited as the new 231 today. The HP38 looks the same. 231 is a great powder for the 9mm so don't let it's elimination spook you. A chronograph is a good tool to have too because if you get a lot higher velocity then the manual go using the same components and same barrel length it may be a sign you exceeded the max pressure limit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
231 is HP38.
Hodgdon relabeled many Win powders.
The Lee book is great for the number of loads it lists, but it is a compilation from other sources adjusted to show the lowest start and max loads from multiple sources.
If you look, you will find combinations where the start and max loads are the same.
I always cross-reference multiple sources--including the powder manufacturer's posted loads on the 'net.
Then, I start with the lowest starting load.

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's why you end up with several reloading books

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote