New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for a BAR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine hunts with a BAR chambered in 338 win mag. Are there any special concerns such as case resizing, powder burn rate, or particular bullets that work best or I should avoid? This will be my first semi auto to load for.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yentna, I'm up in Eagle few miles from the border. I picked up one of those 338 BARs from Ak LIst a couple years back. Nice gun, but too dang heavy and mine groups like .5 first 5-6 shots; then soon as she gets hot, goes out to 2 inches; the gun stays in the gun safe; I take the AR-10 in 338 fed instead.

Keep the bullet seating depth within what manual says, like any semi auto. I loaded up a bunch of Nosler Partitions from 210, 225, and 250 with 67-68 grains IMR 4350 and they shoot fine. I use short base dies for resizing and also crimp with a lee fact crimp die.

Something else, I read from Fulton that one shouldn't use lead tip bullets in any semi autos. He said he knew of a case where a lead tip chipped off and was in chamber and gun blew up, friend lost an eye. I've used hundreds of 210 nos parts in my 338 fed AR-10 and no problems. I got a Scar 308 last fall and shot both nosler partitions and barnes tsx, ttsx, accubonds, GMXs, and a few others. The Nosler Partitions always shoot to the right (5-6 inches) of where all the other plastic tipped bullets do, no joke. So I'm going with 168 TTSXs in the Scar. Once I shoot the 200 338 win mag bullets I got loaded up, I might change, but kinda like them noslers too; and I figure my eyes will still be in my head, ha ha.

Also always been told to not to load semi autos like you would a bolt; so start at low end.

Thats my 2 cents.

Hows the heat? How are the bugs this year. It's been in 90s all week and bugs are intense; outside work can wait.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zhurh,

Thanks for the info. My hunting partner has been using fed prem 250 nos par with no problems. Accuracy is 1.5 to 2 in. from the bench. Because ammo is so expensive and hard to find she's been asking me to reload for her. I have a good supply of H4350 and H4831sc to start with. Now I've got to have her get the rest of the components, small base dies, bullets( 210,225,250) partitions, brass. She may change her mind when she see's the anitial cost of components. We'll see.
Thanks again for your reply.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if ya have wised up to Shooters Pro Shop, if not get signed in on their site. They usually list 2nds & over runs around 3pm AK time, but in a lull right now. I have spent over 1500 on their deals since last fall, just bullets. My bench is full of Nosler bullets, accubonds & partitions. They'll have 250 grain nos parts, box of 25 for like 15 bucks, got to watch for them though. When I see what I like I usually buy 8-12 boxes and me or my grandkids will never run out when the day comes they tax or eliminate lead components.

Have her buy some 215s and 338 win mag brass is cheap and in stock everywhere.

I see so many of those BAR 338 win mags for sale on AK List, I wonder? Mine is a Safari and really shoots excellent when cold, then goes out to 2 inches after 5-6 shots. Actually, the one I got doesn't have a scratch on her, looks to nice for me to beat around with, I take the AR-10.

One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
338? Sounds like it'll have some pretty strong recoil. This means that crimping will be important so that the bullets don't come loose.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't crimped any of my Scars 308 bullets yet. When I load and eject one manually, the bullet moves out .004 and thats with the neck at .334, manual says .434. Ya, thats right Cowboy, you do need to crimp those 338 win mags.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yentna River:
A friend of mine hunts with a BAR chambered in 338 win mag. Are there any special concerns such as case resizing, powder burn rate, or particular bullets that work best or I should avoid? This will be my first semi auto to load for.

Sizing, Full Length sizing is a must. Before you manufacture any ammo make sure your FL sized brass will chamber and extract with ease. Size a few Fired cases and run them through the sizing die. Check to see if this FL sized brass (no primer, no bullet) chambers and extracts with ease. If so you are Good-to-Go, If Not you need to adjust the FL sizing die by screwing it INTO the press until the brass does chamber.

Powder burn rates. Don't worry about that, the BAR can handle slow powders just fine.

Bullets. Use what ever bullet you wish as long as it feeds, is accurate and kills what you are shooting at . I no longer have my 338 BAR, but when I did, my bullet of choice was Nosler 210gr Partition.

Good Luck

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Another user of full length small base sizing die. As also mentioned keep OAL on the money.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea to check the brass for feeding before loading. I'll do that.
About bullet weight, I have heard some semi autos prefer lighter bullets due to the gas system. Also, that lighter bullets were typically more accurate in a BAR. What's the general opinion of the 210 partition? I've always been a heavy for caliber guy but it seems the 210 partition is used a lot in the 338. Just wondering if 210 is a bit light in 338 for brown bear.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no real answer to that question. Your BAR might like heavy bullet or it might like light bullets, only you and your rifle can determine which is best.

I have a 30-06 BAR that shoots 150gr Sierra Game Kings into scary small groups. This same rifle will also shoot 190gr Hornadys almost as good as the 150's but not quite. Trial and error is all you can do, the internet can guide you, but it cannot pick YOUR best bullet/powder combo for you.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll get started with the 250 first then move to the lighter bullets if need be.thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let ya'll know how the load development goes.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Small base" dies are likely unnecessary for the BAR. It is a front-locking action which stays locked until the pressure in the chamber is relieved, so there is no untoward case stretching. I've never had need of SB dies for any of the BAR's I've loaded for.

I have found that powders which are slow-for-caliber do tend to generate high port pressures which may cause the action to cycle in an excessively aggressive manner. I would stay with powders no slower than 4350 just to be on the cautious side. But since you can get optimum velocity out of 4350 in a .338 that shouldn't be a problem.

The lead-tipped bullet story is just that -- a story. Ignore.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote