New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder/Primer/Die Storage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My shop has no heat or air on a regular basic. I'll turn on heat or air if I'm out there, but other than that the temp inside is what it is outside. It might be 0 or 110. Any good suggestions on how to store powder/primers/ dies to keep moisture out. I thought about putting everything in a cooler, but then you would have to dig around to find what you wanted. The dies and primers are small enough to vacuum seal, but I worried moisture would build up inside the plastic and also having to cut open and then seal again after using would be a pain. Don't want to spend the money to put a gun safe in the shop and even if I did the metal would sweat.
Any ideas?

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
An old apartment sized or even mini refrigerator set on the highest setting possible (usually 50 degrees or so) works great.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would that not make the moisture problem worse?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any refridge or freezer made lockable works well .

It's not necessary to turn it on or plug it in , they have nice seals around the doors . Place a packet or two of desiccant gel inside forget about it . If your in an extremely high humidity area , then use more of the desiccant and every few months place in the wifes oven on 200 degrees for a few hours so as to cook excess moisture out . Place it back into your ?. Good to go .

I keep a special sheet draped over my loading bench . This covers my Dies which are tool heads and presses . It has silicone kroil oil solvent what ever else I've spilled and wiped up over many years . No rust on anything I've seen .

I don't have Air or Heat either and my door is Large 8'X22' .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Wrightboy,

While moisture around reloading components is not desirable, the greater evil is heat. Heat has a way of accelerating powder and primer breakdown. I would recommend storage of powder and primers in your living space where the temps are controled year round.

As far as reloading dies, a spray or wipe with Birchwood Carey Sheath will protect them pretty well. Bullets should be ok with the temp variations and moisture. How have they been holding up to date?

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problems so far, but I just started reloading in January. Just trying to perpare.

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't recommend storing powder in a lockable metal container such as a fridge as its a potential bomb! Powder company's usually warn against at well..

Look around for large sealable plastic containers..Over here you can get once used, food grade plastic barrels cheap in various sizes, and they would be ideal.

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote