THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: Barnes X .358 cal 225grain bullets!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
Please help! I have a load for my 35 Whelen that I truely love,. (strong statement I know) Went to go buy some bullets this past week and found out that Barnes has discontinued this bullet, .358 caliber, 225 grain, uncoated. I was hoping that some of you fellows had a private stock that would not ever be used and you could part with at normal prices. If so drop me a PM or email.

Thanks for your help.
BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of these left, I think, I'll check the bullet supply in the studio...

i got great accuracy from them in my 358 win, especially the one i built with a 1x10 twist specifically for this bullet...

but i did not get the velocity I was looking for, and have been shooting sierra gamekings ever since

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
BigBullet:

I too shoot the Whelen with the 225 Gr X bullet. I was just at Sportsman's Warehouse and they had a good supply of the 225 gr bullets, I have since changed to the 250 Gr Nosler, Speer and Hornady.

They are based in Utah and have locations in the Rocky Mountain states. I would do a search for there web page and call them, I believe they will let you order them via mail order.

Also check with Midsouth Shooter's Supply, Grafs and Midway. Cabelas may even have some.

Good Luck

Posts: 24 | Location: WA | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go buy the 225 grain North Fork and forget the Barnes bullets. They are more accurate, seat better, and mushroom perfectly. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your help. Yeah, I could switch my load, but I have such good success with the Barnes X on plains game, I hate at this point to switch. I've tried most, if not all the online catalog shops, Midsouth, Cabelas, Graf, Lock S&B, and a few others, they show they still have them for sale until you call to place the order,"oh yeah, we don't stock them anymore". I wrote Barnes and got a message back that they were no longer making the uncoated version,I could go to the blue meanies.....

I will follow your suggestion and try the Sportmens Warehouse.
Thanks again,
BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Bullet
Go ahead and try the "BLUE MEANIES". Just check
the Barnes manual and add a whole bunch of powder
and get a little more vel. But be sure to get
tool like the Lee universal expander to put a
veru small on the case mouth to keep from scraping
the blue stuff off. If you like Barnes you will
Like the blue ones. The midway product no. for
the lee tool is 140-461. I use it on almost all
my coated bullets. The taper crimp will take the
slight bell out of the case mouth
YUMAN

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Yuman,
My current load in my 35 Whelen is 62.0 grains Reloader 15. This is a heavily compressed load. I don't believe I can get more R-15 into the case. Getting 2625 fps with this load and 0.75"-1.0" groups, which I'm very happy with. So changing to a different bullet such as the XLC's will probibly require a powder change. Though my hunt is in May 2004, I wasn't really planning on full load development work before leaving.

So, if anyone has some thoughts on this, I would appreciate your input.

BigBullet

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I think I have a couple of boxes if you can't find any. I too had good accuracy with them on top of AA2015. The Load was taken from the Barnes Manual. I believe it to be overly hot but they shot well and killed like the hammer of Thor. I just play with the Whelen and have other bullets that currently have found favor so let me know if you can't come up with some elsewhere.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Fury01,
I have sent you a PM.
Thanks,
BigBullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBullet, Try some IMR 4064 in your Whelen. I can get 2,700 fps with a 225gr bullet in my 338/06 using it. Love those Barnes bullets. Took nine of the large African antelope with a 200gr X in 338/06. Worked great.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote