Find
Notify
Tools

Ball Powder for Garand
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I am wanting to load a signifcant number of rounds for the gun and so that means "Dillon Time" which says ball powder.

What ball powder will perform best in pressure curve for this gun?

I also prefer Milsurp if there is anything out there in the proper burn rate.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a lot of BLC2 and surplus WC 846 for Garand loads. No problems with either one.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with 4895 in the Dillon press. It still remains one of the best powders for the M1, however, the two powders mentioned by craigster, plus any others in the 4895 burning range, should do well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a keg of Ball C and a Garand back when. It kept functioning how I don't know.

That powder was the dirtiest crap I have ever seen with pressure spikes to boot. I finally burned it up in 222's.

To be frank I don't want a Dillon type press either. Good luck

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
I had a keg of Ball C and a Garand back when. It kept functioning how I don't know.

That powder was the dirtiest crap I have ever seen with pressure spikes to boot. I finally burned it up in 222's.

To be frank I don't want a Dillon type press either. Good luck

It kept functioning because it was a Garand, they were built that way.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Give WW748 a try, it's about the same burn rate as 4895, maybe a bit slower but well used powder in 7.62 rounds.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used AA 2520 in the Garand with success.May have a bit more muzzle flash ,but worked well,burn rate is similar to 4895.

Posts: 49 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried several ball powders in 30-06 Garands. My lot of 852 was simmilar to 760. It shot pretty well. I used it in loads using mollied 173 gr puldown bullets. Those loads shot as good as any '06 I ever shot out of a garand about 2-3 moa. 846 made some pretty impressive fireballs but not every shot. The accuracy was goo0d. The fireballs were to disconcerting to allow me to shoot well. I have also shot a little 748, I have no specific recolections. I tried AA223; it is to fast for the garand. I have found that thrown charges of 4895 pull down is the most accurate of all despite any minor increased weight variations over 852F, my best ball results. In my 308 Garand match rifle I have found that 4895 is the ticket with mollied 168 matchkings. It has a Kreiger 1:11 heavy stainless barrel and all the match conditioning tricks. It shoots about 1-2 moa. I would try to find some 4895 at a good price and buy a large quantity, oh wait! I did that.......