THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need recommendation on reloading software. Help!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendation on reloading software. Help!
 Login/Join

<awtc>
posted
Must be interior and exterior. Is Quickload best?

Thanks [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean "interior and exterior"?

I use the RCBS program. I like it because I needed help with it and called the help line one weekend and got the guy who wrote the program. You don't hardly get that kind of service from most software purveyors. My kind of program. Ku-dude

<awtc>
posted
Dear Ku-Dude (as in Kudu?) I want a interior and exterior ballistic program. I believe RCBS is just exterior ballistics.Thanks Much [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try RSI Shooting Lab at:

www.shootingsoftware.com

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWTC - Acculoader from AEM has internal, external and terminal ballistics, including a lot of other variables you can factor in. By far the most powerful ballistics program I've ever seen.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Makalu>
posted
Hello,

I have RSI shooting lab and QuickLoad. QuickLoad is really the MUCH MUCH better choice, even when RSI has also some positive point, but they are not some important.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, do the AEM people have a website with AWTC-infos ?

For those who like to taste/test before they spend the money:

Quick load test version :
www.neconos.com

Load from a Disk - test version :
http://www.loadammo.com/Files/lfdwdemo.exe

[ 07-05-2002, 19:04: Message edited by: waitaminit ]

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys have got to be kidding me! Quick Load costs $149.95. Accuload costs $129.95 That's $20 less and Quick Load doesn't have 1/10th of the features as Accuload.
[Big Grin] = Horselaugh

Basically Quick Load for $149.95 is the same as the Calculoader feature in Accuload...and this module sells for $29.95.

This is a no brainer IMHO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Afternoon,
One of our AccuLoad customers sent me this thread so that I might answer your questions. First, let me say that I have not used QuickLoads, but I hear that it's a very nice program. RSI Labs I have seen, but not used to process any meaningful data. My "answers" will be limited by this inexperience if asked for comparative evaluations. For that kind of data, you would have to seek the opinion of someone who owns and has used both sides of the coin.

The executable code for AccuLoad is just under 30 MB of compiled code and the database structure is almost 100 MB. Deleting data from the database to make a demo would reduce the content of the database, but not the size of the structure. Placing stops in the executable code to limit it's usefullness or adding in a "drop dead" date would actually increase it's size. Of course, none of this takes into consideration the dll files, the ocx files and the Help files. Thus, we have to mail out the program rather than have it downloaded. The same would be true for a demo. One of our customers suggested that we create a short VHS tape or create an avi demo of our product in action. This is an excellent idea and one we will act on. However, all new work is in a hold status until AccuLoad version 2 enters into beta testing. V2 has been under development for about a year and we're behind our self-imposed schedule by five days now, so all of our creative effort is focused in that direction.

On the positive side, our web page has dozens of screen captures that are also used in our printed manual. Additionally, if you would like to see the output from the cartridge file for your favorite cartridge, or a load calculated for your favorite bullet, or a drop table tailored to your specs, we will be happy to do that for you and send the results to you via email as an Acrobat pdf file. Just email us at info@aement.com and let us know which output you'd like to see.

If you'd like to know if your .332� Archibald Carpetslinger is in our database, just ask. If you have developed or own a wildcat or other cartridge that isn't in our database, let us know and we'll add it. We're pretty easy to get along with.

Regards,
Ed

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
<WRYFOX>
posted
I use a program called Ballistic Basics. It does everything I could want to do, and it only about $40 for the Pro version. I used the shareware demo version for quite some time before I bought the full version. I believe you can use it about 20 times before timing out on the shareware. The calculations are quite good and work well.
http://huntingcorner.com/bazoesoft/
One quicky little software online is at the Lost River Ballistics webpage. They sell the highest BC bullets made (supposedly), I play with that if I'm online and want to throw some numbers up.
http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LRB_Main_Page.htm

<awtc>
posted
Much thanks guys for the help.

I bought Accuload thanks to Pecos and Eds suggestions. I APPRECIATE ALL THE WELL INFORMED SUGGESTIONS ABOVE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW. [Smile]

<RickMD>
posted
I bought Calculoader the other day after reading the positive reviews on this thread and am not as enthusiastic as the rest of you. Being a cautious reloader, I always start a few grains light and work up to a maximum load in all my rifles.

I have found the projections that I'm getting with Calculoader are not at all in keeping with published loading data or my experience. The program is calculating starting loads that are well over maximum in my rifles and, the maximum loads would be just plain dangerous. Additionally, the program is calculating velocities that are considerable lower than what would be expected with a given charge.

For example, I inputted a plain vanilla 30-06 with a 150 grain Hornady Spire Point loaded to an overall length of 3.224". (bullet length is 1.09", barrel 24"). Calculoader suggests a starting load of 53.6 grains of RL15 and a max load of 59.5 grains. Hornady Manual fifth edition lists a starting load of 44.5 grains of RL15 and a maximum load of 51.7 grains of the same powder. Calculoader's starting load is almost two grains over Hornady's maximum load! The maximum load of 59.5 grains of RL15 is just plain dangerous.

Same thing with Varget. Calculoader lists a 51.4 starting load with 57.1 as a maximum. Hornady lists 51.6 as maximum. Hornady projects a velocity of 2900 fps with 51.6 grains. Calculoader shows 2910 fps with 57.1 grains and pressures of 46,100 CUP. Hogwash!

I don't feel that the formula used by Calcuload is at all accurate and I would hesitate to put much faith in (or my face behind) the loads calculated. In all fairness, it is a neat little program but, to be relied upon... I don't think so.

Another problem (at least for me) is the choice of powders. In my neck of the woods most guys use the IMR, Alliant, WW, or Hodgdon powders (�cause that�s what we can buy over the counter). Accurate, Vihtavouri, Vectan, and ADI powders are listed in over 50% of the loads which, at least for me, is a waste of data base space.

I really think these guys are on the right track but a lot remains to be done before this program is perfected.

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
To HockeyPuck:

As a fellow programmer, and a lover of math models, is it possible to you to shed some light on which algorithms and methods are used to deal with Internal Ballistics ?

If so, tks in advance !

Regards, Gustavo

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo,
I am not the programmer. I'm the research guy, database filler and mailer-outer. I'll pass your request and email address to our programmer.

To all,
The problems that have been reported with maximum loads and velocities has been overhauled and version 1.6 of CalcuLoader will be mailed out to all CalcuLoader customers tomorrow morning. It will also contain the AccuLoad version 2 cartridge database. If you spot anything we missed, or have suggestions, please contact us. We do listen.
I do not have reliable dimensions on the 6mm International and SAAMI has not sent me the update with the 7mm WSM dimensions. If anyone has these cartridges and wants them in version 2, please send me a fireformed and full length resized case and I will make every effort to include it in AccuLoad before version 2 is released. The same offer is open to anyone with a pet cartridge that we have missed. ECRA alone has over 3,000 cartridges in their database; we only have 1,074 at last count.
Regards,
Ed

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
This is a copy of an email that I sent to the folks at AEM moments ago.

Dear Ed:

I just received the version 1.6 upgrade to CalcuLoader. The adjustment to the algorithm along with the added features is nothing short of a dazzling improvement. I have compared my extensive load data history with CalcuLoader and find the velocities projected by the new version to be incredibly similar to the outcomes I have chronographed over the years. Maximum loads calculated by the program are practically identical with those that I have worked up to by trial and error! I would have saved hundreds of pounds of powder and bullets if I had had this program years ago.

Your addressing these changes in a matter of a few days is more than admirable. What service! You've made me into a believer. I hope you'll forgive me for my past criticism. Please advise what I owe you to upgrade to AccuLoad 2.0.

Sincerely,

Rick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RICKMD - I agree with your comments about AEM service and support. The guys there are fantastic. Wouldn't it be great if we could get that sort of service from EVERY company we do business with! [Eek!]

<awtc>
posted
RickMD and Pecos45 [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Dealing with Ed is worth the price alone. I have had great service with great attitude. It does not get any better then Ed at AEM. Others in the Ballistics and weapons arena could learn a few things here. Thanks Ed.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
RickMD,

Your addressing these changes in a matter of a few days is more than admirable. What service! You've made me into a believer. I hope you'll forgive me for my past criticism. Please advise what I owe you to upgrade to AccuLoad 2.0.
[/QUOTE]

I'm happy that Ed has changed your mind regarding Accuload. I know Ed, he is one of the most open guy I have ever seen. All the time he wants that Accuload is a great program, and all clients are very happy for the money invest in that program.

He'll never claim Accuload is the BEST reloading program in the world, too modest for that, and he respects all other programs.

He never stopped to add more wilcats, more powders, more bullets used in the program. All the time searching the perfect load with the perfect bullet.

I think anybody can't go wrong with Accuload. Even you [Wink]

I thank you for your honesty for both bad and go things written for Accuload.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, what is happening here ?
Someone buys a new software, finds out that it is a bit flawy, reports it to the programmer who corrects the bug within four days.
This is great.
But it is not likely that this is the only correction to be done - other customers will report their findings, and the software is improving (and becoming safer) continuously.
Best I lean back and wait a minit before I buy the software!

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote