Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

working up loads question
 Login/Join

posted
Too many questions, where to start... I finally loaded the last of my 218 bee cases, and fireformed my 1st set of 50 new cases to Mashburn Bee. From here on out I'll be loading mashburn cases. Anyway, I was using in the 218 cases; 13.5 grains of Lil' Gun behind 50 grain bullets (V-max and PSP) and 14 grains behind 40 grain v-max. when I load for the Mashburn, should I start here or back down? If I need to back down, where do I start? from there, what increments should I increase the loads by? I see a majority of others uses this cartridge are using 4198 for powder. Is there a difference between manufacturers, IMR, Hogdon, ect? I am almost out of Lil'gun, and if I switch to 4198, what are your recommendations as a starting point and increments. I have a ruger #1 rebarrelled and accurized by EABCO.

thanks,
Trent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load the Bee, but haven't messed with the improved version. That said, if I were you, I would start with a midrange load for the standard Bee with the powder/bullet combo you plan on using for your improved and work up from there. Sierra lists between 12 and 15 grs IMR4198 for 50gr bullets. Ackley lists only one load for the improved with a 50gr bullet, 17.3gr IMR4198. BTW, I use H110 in the standard Bee with excellent results in a Ruger #1.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if its any help I have a mashburn bee in a little martini cadet. my load is 16.2 gr of H4227 and a 40 gr vmax. crono shows 3140fps & is very accurate

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote