New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Loads for .458 Lott?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I finally saw all the basics available at one time and grabbed them. I poured, lubed, sized, gas-checked, and lubed again 66 projectiles for the .458 Lott. The weights vary between 498.3 and 505.1 grains. I was very surprised how well these turned out in this first stage. Hopefully the shooting stage will work out as well.

Can I use regular Hornady recipes for 500 grains & 2000fps?

Or does anyone have any helpful hints with these cast bullets and IMR 4350, IMR 4064, IMR 4831, Reloader 15 or Winchester 760?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 458 lott can use modified 45-70 data with no problem.
just use normal cast loads in it.
I would use 20-22 grs of alliants 2400 and a 1gr tuft of Dacron if they are gas checked.
if they are not gas checked I would start with 8 grains of unique.
you are not going to get up to the 2-k area right off the bat.
make sure everything works first then start moving your way up towards the 2-k area with your loads.
500 grains at 2,000 fps man, I shoot 450's at 1650 and punch myself in the nose every shot.

anyway what you have/want is certainly doable, but you need to learn a little about how cast works in YOUR rifle first.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Load it like a 45/2.5 inch Sharps with black powder.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minkman, there is a fair amount of cast data out there for both the Lott and the 458 Win Mag. I would look at 3031 and start somewhere around 50 grains, working up with caution. That is under minimum load recommendation, but 3031 is slow enough you won't have any problems.

Years ago I read an article where the author said when all was said and done to take the standard 405s, load them with 40 grains of 3031 and watch the Lott print tiny little groups at 100. I don't think the rifle would know any difference between a jacketed 405 and a cast 405, personally...

I have a #1 in Lott that I have held off playing with because of a neck vertebra fusion a couple of years ago. I will get there, just haven't yet.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I looked up data on AR and found from Ed Hubel that Win 760 is his preferred. His instructions were:

Fill the case to where the bullet will be seated, weigh this and start at 88% of that weight.

I did just that with 69 grains of 760 and went to the farm, but alas there were three gobblers that wouldn't leave the 350yd line. Watched them for an hour and left. Hopefully they will be there Monday AM.

Should I pull these loads or do they sound sane?

Thanks again, Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used IMR 4831 and Trail Boss with cast bullets in my Lott with no problems, haven't tried 760 though...

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl,

what weight bullet are you shooting with the IMR 4831? And how much IMR 4831 are you using?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys I really appreciate the help, but I'm still at a loss.

Is the 500 grain cast Lee .457 GC loaded with 69 grains of Winchester 760 safe to shoot or should I pull the bullets?

I followed Hubel458's formula and reasoning for lower pressures with 760, but every time I read about SEE or detonation, I get skittish about all reloading that doesn't have a hardcover book providing the data. Plus I believe I had a brush with SEE with nothing more than an instant headache for damage, that may have been my only lucky pass. I've never been a ball powder guy, always wondered why I have to use Lg Mag Rifle primers with the .243 Winchester. Color me cautious.

I was looking at quick load data for the Lott with a 550 grain Woodleigh and I can't be sure about what it really means. I think it means 78 grains of 760 was used, everything else is Gaelic to me. Ex:

[Winchester 760 100.0 78.0 5.05 2037 95.8 48716 6410 1.451]

If I can't feel good about using cast bullets with the Lott, I'll be making sinkers with the mold with brass eyelets. Then trade a near full pound of 760 for some IMR.

Thanks for your patience Guys